Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for 2 credit cards... Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for 2 credit cards... Help!

The other day I applied for 2 credit cards: CapitolOne and CreditOne.
I first applied for CapitolOne to try to avoice the annual fee, but beleived it was kind of a long shot.  When I didn't hear anything back, I applied for CreditOne just so I could start re-building my credit (7 to 700 plan) either way.  Well... I just got an email from CapitolOne that I've been approved... so I have 2 cards in the mail.

I'd rather use CapitolOne, but since I was approved I'm pretty sure I already have the $45 annual Fee applied to the CreditOne account.
What should I do?  I know the account is open wether I activate the card or not, but is it bad to close a new account?  Should I close one account, or would it be more beneficial to keep both cards and use them for gas?

HELP! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Approved for 2 credit cards... Help!

@Anonymous wrote:

The other day I applied for 2 credit cards: CapitolOne and CreditOne.
I first applied for CapitolOne to try to avoice the annual fee, but beleived it was kind of a long shot.  When I didn't hear anything back, I applied for CreditOne just so I could start re-building my credit (7 to 700 plan) either way.  Well... I just got an email from CapitolOne that I've been approved... so I have 2 cards in the mail.

I'd rather use CapitolOne, but since I was approved I'm pretty sure I already have the $45 annual Fee applied to the CreditOne account.
What should I do?  I know the account is open wether I activate the card or not, but is it bad to close a new account?  Should I close one account, or would it be more beneficial to keep both cards and use them for gas?

HELP! 

It's ok to close the Credit One account.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 7
jrmalvarez
Valued Member

Just call before you activate it and see if they can cancel it before it reports to your credit and explain the annual fee and limit are not valuable to you. I did that with my credit one card, they tried to send me a second card, and I asked for proof it wouldnt be put on my report.

EXP: 806 - EQ: 775 - TU: 796
AMEX BCP: 21k CL Chase Sapphire Reserve: 20.7k CL Citi DC: 16k CL
Discover IT: 15k CL Chase Auto Loan 47k 72M @ 9.99, iKea Projekt 8.8k, Target Red Card 2k, Amazon Store 10k
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jrmalvarez wrote:

Just call before you activate it and see if they can cancel it before it reports to your credit and explain the annual fee and limit are not valuable to you. I did that with my credit one card, they tried to send me a second card, and I asked for proof it wouldnt be put on my report.

Do you recall if they still made you pay the Annual fee?  I'll definitely call them and see what they can do.  I could try to call them even before my card gets here.
Did you have any issues with CreditOne after that?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cancelled when I received the card without activating. I didn't have to pay anything (no AF) and it is not reporting on any of my credit reports. The only evidence of credit one is the inquiry on Experian. 

Message 5 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

You have 30 days after they take out annual fee to cancel and they have to refund the fee.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 7
jrmalvarez
Valued Member

I did not have to pay the annual fee, it was waived.

EXP: 806 - EQ: 775 - TU: 796
AMEX BCP: 21k CL Chase Sapphire Reserve: 20.7k CL Citi DC: 16k CL
Discover IT: 15k CL Chase Auto Loan 47k 72M @ 9.99, iKea Projekt 8.8k, Target Red Card 2k, Amazon Store 10k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.