Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for AmEx Zync.....through my DW :-/

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for AmEx Zync.....through my DW :-/

So after I was declined for the AmEx Zync I told my DW and discussed the benefits of being able to backdate for 2011. She agreed with me on the point of creating a good history with a Prime CCC. So tonight she app'd and got an insta-approval, I was super happy for my DW, though I would be remiss not to mention that I felt like a bit of a dolt not being able to qualify for the same card days before. I'm supervising our little family's journey to the 700 club...was encouraging to app worth the benefit? I feel like it will be a good foot in the door, later down the road I understand we can PC to a Gold or whatever else once we get a nice history with AmEx. Also I was denied literally days ago, can she add me the same way we did with her Chase Freedom? It cost $15 for another card it said, does it benefit me credit wise? I'm a joint now on her Chase Freedom. I wonder if I should just cancel my Orchard Bank CC ($300 CL), it's my oldest CC, opened in August '11, anyway I'll just make a new thread in the Rebuilding Credit area. So thanks to my DW I am being adopted into the AmEx family. It's true, Santa DOES exist!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for AmEx Zync.....through my DW :-/

@Anonymous wrote:
So after I was declined for the AmEx Zync I told my DW and discussed the benefits of being able to backdate for 2011. She agreed with me on the point of creating a good history with a Prime CCC. So tonight she app'd and got an insta-approval, I was super happy for my DW, though I would be remiss not to mention that I felt like a bit of a dolt not being able to qualify for the same card days before. I'm supervising our little family's journey to the 700 club...was encouraging to app worth the benefit? I feel like it will be a good foot in the door, later down the road I understand we can PC to a Gold or whatever else once we get a nice history with AmEx. Also I was denied literally days ago, can she add me the same way we did with her Chase Freedom? It cost $15 for another card it said, does it benefit me credit wise? I'm a joint now on her Chase Freedom. I wonder if I should just cancel my Orchard Bank CC ($300 CL), it's my oldest CC, opened in August '11, anyway I'll just make a new thread in the Rebuilding Credit area. So thanks to my DW I am being adopted into the AmEx family. It's true, Santa DOES exist!

Congrats!

Do not feel like "a bit of a dolt" for not qualifying for the same card days before.  A credit scoring method (the one you're talking about is also a bit unique to AMEX) is no measure of someone as a person, a partner or anything else for that matter other than that snapshot of their credit info that split second at when a creditor pulled it to look at it. It's very fluid on how it changes from day to day, a person isn't. A person can change their credit profile and score, the CR and Score does NOT change the person. No one starts out being able to get an instant approval for a 5 figure prime card, we all start somewhere and build a foundation first.

I think it's a great idea to get in with AMEX, I also think it's a good idea to be added as an AU on your wifes card, it would give you an established member since date with AMEX. You may as well have her add you this month if she's ok with that, it will give you this year for your date (anything you add in Jan of other years will report as Jan of 2011 even though you became a member in Dec). You don't even have to carry the card, just use it once in a while so it shows it's active on her account (if she's worried about CC's, have her keep it in her possession, it's not unusual at all. A lot of people are nervous about credit cards). You don't even have to be a joint card holder on the AMEX, it will report for you as well as give you the MS date (I saw you were added as joint on Chase).  With AMEX authorized user works fine. I'd say it's worth the extra $15 for that benefit.

If you plan to cancel your Orchard, do it the month before you'd be looking at the AF being added. You might consider getting a Capital One card before then, they may be better than Orchard, I'm not sure, I have CapOne with no real complaints. Or maybe even consider something a bit more prime, I have no idea of your score or CR info.  It's good to have a card active with yourself as the primary holder, even if it is Orchard. I've never had an Orchard CC so others will probably chime in about that issue. Whatever you decide to apply for, research it here (and elsewhere) before applying so you know what you're getting.

The very fact that you're looking at MyFico forums is a good sign BTW. It's a great source of info and indicates your serious about taking care of your credit.

As you'll read there are all kinds of things to consider, like getting in with a CU (if you qualify for any, it's a very good idea).

You'll also be relieved to know not everyone will be this verbose when replying LOL  Most of the posts are under thesis level verbiage Smiley Very Happy

Again, Big Congrats and Happy Holidays to you and your family Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 19
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

Do not feel like "a bit of a dolt" for not qualifying for the same card days before.  A credit scoring method (the one you're talking about is also a bit unique to AMEX) is no measure of someone as a person, a partner or anything else for that matter other than that snapshot of their credit info that split second at when a creditor pulled it to look at it. It's very fluid on how it changes from day to day, a person isn't. A person can change their credit profile and score, the CR and Score does NOT change the person. No one starts out being able to get an instant approval for a 5 figure prime card, we all start somewhere and build a foundation first.

I think it's a great idea to get in with AMEX, I also think it's a good idea to be added as an AU on your wifes card, it would give you an established member since date with AMEX. You may as well have her add you this month if she's ok with that, it will give you this year for your date (anything you add in Jan of other years will report as Jan of 2011 even though you became a member in Dec). You don't even have to carry the card, just use it once in a while so it shows it's active on her account (if she's worried about CC's, have her keep it in her possession, it's not unusual at all. A lot of people are nervous about credit cards). You don't even have to be a joint card holder on the AMEX, it will report for you as well as give you the MS date (I saw you were added as joint on Chase).  With AMEX authorized user works fine. I'd say it's worth the extra $15 for that benefit.

If you plan to cancel your Orchard, do it the month before you'd be looking at the AF being added. You might consider getting a Capital One card before then, they may be better than Orchard, I'm not sure, I have CapOne with no real complaints. Or maybe even consider something a bit more prime, I have no idea of your score or CR info.  It's good to have a card active with yourself as the primary holder, even if it is Orchard. I've never had an Orchard CC so others will probably chime in about that issue. Whatever you decide to apply for, research it here (and elsewhere) before applying so you know what you're getting.

The very fact that you're looking at MyFico forums is a good sign BTW. It's a great source of info and indicates your serious about taking care of your credit.

As you'll read there are all kinds of things to consider, like getting in with a CU (if you qualify for any, it's a very good idea).

You'll also be relieved to know not everyone will be this verbose when replying LOL  Most of the posts are under thesis level verbiage Smiley Very Happy

AmenSmiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Hey, congrats !  Being an additional cardmember will be great and when you are you approved for your own card you will benefit from the backdating !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RyVision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

Thank you for the reply! I do feel better after I talking to her about it, she is going to add me on this morning for backdating purposes. I do have a Capital One $500 CL so I'll have to decide what I want to do with the Orchard since we are applying for a mortgage next holiday season. Perhaps next year after we buy a home I can PC to a Gold or something with some nice rewards....thanks again!
Message 5 of 19
MMAYFIELD0309
Valued Member

So with AMEX, if i'm added as an authorized user and lets say 6 months down the line I app and qualify for my own account, will the date back date to that of the account i was an authorized user on? And then @ that point, if I decided to be removed as an authorized user and it does indeed use the open date for the account I was the authorized user on, will it keep that date or be replaced by the date I originally opened it myself?

Thanks!

Starting Score: TU FAKO: 565 - EQ FICO: 598 - EX FAKO: 545
Current Score: TU FICO: 632 - EQ FICO: 646 - EX FAKO: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Must resist the urge to app for this card, please inner-self!!!!!Smiley LOL

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 19
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@MMAYFIELD0309 wrote:

@Anonymous with AMEX, if i'm added as an authorized user and lets say 6 months down the line I app and qualify for my own account, will the date back date to that of the account i was an authorized user on? And then @ that point, if I decided to be removed as an authorized user and it does indeed use the open date for the account I was the authorized user on, will it keep that date or be replaced by the date I originally opened it myself?

Thanks!

I don't believe a new account would backdate to AU year. AUs aren't considered members.

Heck!! I don't even believe being an AU opens the door to an Amex card.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 8 of 19
MMAYFIELD0309
Valued Member

Lol. Had me thinking. I was gonna say if thats the case then! Haha

Thanks

Starting Score: TU FAKO: 565 - EQ FICO: 598 - EX FAKO: 545
Current Score: TU FICO: 632 - EQ FICO: 646 - EX FAKO: 661
Goal Score: 700

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There have been success stories of AMEX backdating to an AU account.  Do a quick search and you'll find them.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.