Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amazon, Declined for Walmart. - [Update!]

tag
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Approved for Amazon, Declined for Walmart. - [Update!]

So my husband and I decided to ... what the hell... try for a store card. After seeing his score jump significantly to 721 on Transunion, we figured it couldn't hurt. He got instant approval with Amazon store card ($700.00) but received the standard 7-10 days response for Walmart.

We called to see if there was a reason and the only response we could get was that maybe it was because we already applied to Amazon that same day. Is that a reason? Has anyone been approved for two store cards on the same day? I know Amazon and Walmart work through the same company for their store credit so it's entirely possible. I just want to know the answer since we dinged his credit with an inquiry. I guess I got excited and figured why not get Walmart too. My fault. Smiley Sad

I just hope it doesn't send his credit score crashing down!

Update:

Well, it looks like all it took was a few phonecalls to get the ball rolling. Approved with Walmart, too! Smiley Happy

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

Re: Approved for Amazon, Declined for Walmart.

Don't worry his score will not be crashing down. Enjoy the card and build from it give it another shot a few months later. Good luck.

Message 2 of 25
mrcrush20
New Contributor

did you ask to recon ? speak to a manager someone with a bit more power then CSR

Message 3 of 25
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

I've called three times so far and received a somewhat satisfactory answer. I imagine it may be an identity issue just based on the questions they asked during the verification process and the fact that I know Equifax has the wrong information on him right now. Could that potentially be a reason? Is it possible that Walmart is pulling from Equifax and thus receiving the wrong verification information (birthday, etc)?

I don't know for sure. I want to call again and see if I can get a manager, but I feel like they too might just give me the run around and tell me to wait until the letter explains the reason it's pending.

Also, how many points does a score usually fall with credit store applications?

Message 4 of 25
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I applied for two GE backed cards the same day. The first app -- JC Penney -- was approved instantly; the second app -- Dillard's -- gave me the 7-10 day message. I received a phone call the next day about the Dillard's card. All they wanted to do was verify some information and they approved me. Maybe it's something like this?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 25
pinoyscorpion951
New Contributor

That's strange, I got the exact opposite response when I applied. I applied for Walmart first and got approved for 2100 which i was able to recon for 3700 (tried for 4000 and declined but nice that I was given a counteroffer). Then I applied for Amazon and got the dreaded 7-10 day message. I called immediately after I received the message and spoke with a csr and told me I needed to answer a few questions and that my application would get pushed through for review. Hahahah! I've been down this road before. I already know its a denial. I don't get it either, especially after hearing from numerous people how easy it is to get this card. I have 3 gecrb backed cards already but this one seems very elusive. Its the 3rd time I've apped for it in the last 2 years. Declined every single time! Funny thing is, I've spent literally thousands of dollars on Amazon. If anyone would be a good candidate to be approved I would think it would be me. Oh well, I guess I'll try again next year.

Message 6 of 25
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Wow! So after calling SEVEN TIMES, I finally got a representive who stated the application was approve for $600.00 and that we will be getting it in 5-10 days. So happy!! I guess with a little persistance (and back door calling ) we moved things along! Yay!! (: Two approvals in one day IS possible! 

... at least for store cards.

Message 7 of 25
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@PleioneG wrote:

Wow! So after calling SEVEN TIMES, I finally got a representive who stated the application was approve for $600.00 and that we will be getting it in 5-10 days. So happy!! I guess with a little persistance (and back door calling ) we moved things along! Yay!! (: Two approvals in one day IS possible! 

... at least for store cards.

Yay!!! Congrats!!!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 25
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

I applied for walmart  and was approved for 600 on Sept 11  and then Sept 24 approved for Amazon store credit 500. 

I would rather have 600 on Amazon and 500 on walmart. I don't like Walmart. Something not right about that place Smiley LOL    

Message 9 of 25
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approved for Amazon, Declined for Walmart. - [Update!]

Congrats!!!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.