Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Clear

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Approved for Amex Clear

I've been having good things happen with Amex lately so I decided to pull the trigger on their Clear card.  I chose the Clear card because, although the rewards aren't fantastic, you earn your 1% and they just send you Amex "gift" cards in the mail.  I didn't have anything like that where I don't have to pay an annual fee.  In fact, I don't think I could be approved for anything like that yet with my current scores/baddies.  For others, the no fees might attract you (no over the limit fee, no paying late fee, no annual fee, etc.).  Along with their great customer service and extended warranties, I thought I would go for it.  Also, if approved, it's another card to increase my AAoA with their backdating!

I did not receive my credit limit yet and when I called for it, it was not available.  When I hung up, however, the CSR thanked me, "for being a wonderful customer these last 10 years with American Express."  Wonderful?  I charged off an account with them 7 years ago (settled) and wasn't able to get one of their cards again until this past November!  I really don't know what they consider "wonderful."  Anyway, it was NOT an instant decision in 60 seconds but I received an e-mail the next day of my approval.  I'll update when I receive limit.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex Clear

Congrats ...

Message 2 of 16
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, clocktick!!!!! I'm an Amex Clear card holder too.

Message 3 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Congrats.

One thing I hope AMEX do with Clear is giving the option of statement credit instead of gift card. By using AMEX gift card, you can't earn cashback on top of your bonus. 

And it'll be great with Clear offers 1.25% cashback, given that BofA does.

Message 4 of 16
tray
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your new Amex Clear card.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 16
score_building
Senior Contributor

COngrats!  Another Clear card holder here, they CLD mine a couple of years ago but has since been restored.  Nice card to have IME.

fused- I know you PIF but was curious, what is your current APR on your Clear?  Mine is currently 10.24.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 16
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@score_building wrote:

COngrats!  Another Clear card holder here, they CLD mine a couple of years ago but has since been restored.  Nice card to have IME.

fused- I know you PIF but was curious, what is your current APR on your Clear?  Mine is currently 10.24.

Mine is also 10.24%. I hardly use the card. tho.

Message 7 of 16
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Congrats.

One thing I hope AMEX do with Clear is giving the option of statement credit instead of gift card. By using AMEX gift card, you can't earn cashback on top of your bonus. 

And it'll be great with Clear offers 1.25% cashback, given that BofA does.

If they do raise it to 1.25% I might just make that my main card again.  If they offer statement credits, too... F - L - Y.

Message 8 of 16
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I want this card! I have a hard time deciding between AMEX CCs and this one seems to be the one I gravitate to. I don't want to apply for it though, do they preapprove for it? I check every day but so far, nothing.

And how did you get a 10.24% when their disclosures say 17%?!

Message 9 of 16
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

Congratulations! Maybe next time it's time for a platinum!

@clocktick wrote:

I've been having good things happen with Amex lately so I decided to pull the trigger on their Clear card.  I chose the Clear card because, although the rewards aren't fantastic, you earn your 1% and they just send you Amex "gift" cards in the mail.  I didn't have anything like that where I don't have to pay an annual fee.  In fact, I don't think I could be approved for anything like that yet with my current scores/baddies.  For others, the no fees might attract you (no over the limit fee, no paying late fee, no annual fee, etc.).  Along with their great customer service and extended warranties, I thought I would go for it.  Also, if approved, it's another card to increase my AAoA with their backdating!

I did not receive my credit limit yet and when I called for it, it was not available.  When I hung up, however, the CSR thanked me, "for being a wonderful customer these last 10 years with American Express."  Wonderful?  I charged off an account with them 7 years ago (settled) and wasn't able to get one of their cards again until this past November!  I really don't know what they consider "wonderful."  Anyway, it was NOT an instant decision in 60 seconds but I received an e-mail the next day of my approval.  I'll update when I receive limit.

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.