cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Green ... and now what?

tag
PastorH
Contributor

Approved for Amex Green ... and now what?

Just spoke to a CSR (India) about my application and he said it had been approved today. Hallelujah! Arrives in 7-10 days. Now, just as I've received in my other posts, I need some help deciding the next step.  First some details:

New Credit (all in September): Mortgage Re-fi; Oriental Bank Visa (5k); Chase Freedom (2.5k); Amex Green

Old Credit: Chase Amazon Visa (4400 CL / 2800 Bal); JCP (2850 CL / 413 Bal)  I have a message thread on PIF.

True Credit monitoring shows Inquiries from Mortgage Bank (TU, EX, EQ), Amex (TU), Chase (TU, EX), Oriental Bank (TU)

Credit Karmas shows TU inquiries for the four above.

FICO/CRA Scores - TU 689/758; EX 683/759; EQ 689/760

Credit Karma - Credit Score TU 708 (???); CU B (40%); Payment History A; Age of Credit History A; Total Accts C; Inquiries C; Derogatory A ... Overall Grade B

FICO - Credit History 22 yrs; AAoA 10 yrs; Last late payment 4yrs 8mos

(none of the above show new accounts activity)

So, now what? Should I apply for anything else?  CK suggested a Discover iT.  Or should I begin gardening, which I understand means taking good care and letting my profile/history grow.

Please chime in.

Thanks ahead of time.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex Green ... and now what?

I might go ahead and add Discover now.

do you have purpose for like a Blue Cash Preferred? now that you are an Amex card holder I would apply for the credit card product now if you want one. I probably would have gotten the Gold Charge not the Green as rewards are terrible.

Message 2 of 41
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Question is, do you need an additional card? If so, what are you looking for in a new card ? BT, cashback, rewards, etc.
Message 3 of 41
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Yes PRG is the one but for now your in with AMEX and id apply for BCP as well as Discover.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 41
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OPs previous post indicated his app issue when applying for Green and trying to get it cancelled and apping for the PRG. It was his mistake and now he is 'stuck' with his original app.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Need-help-getting-an-AMEX/m-p/2436615#M691555
Message 5 of 41
PastorH
Contributor

Yes... I sort of got off on the wrong foot with the Amex app (I didn't recognize good advice that was given) and then tried to correct it, only to decide to stay with the original - Green. Well, I'm in now, and later on can apply for another. I guess.

I was thinking the Discover iT.  What do you think 09Lexie?  All my details are above.  (BTW: what's an OP?)

Thanks to all.

Message 6 of 41
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Discover It is a nice card for 0% promo and cashback. The revolving categories and the ability to stack the rewards is a nice feature too.

OP = original post or poster
Message 7 of 41
PastorH
Contributor

Thanks.  I see that you're gardening.  I think that after I make the decision on Discover, I'm headed to the garden.

Just to confirm ... Am I correct?:  Gardening is suspending applying for new credit, increases, pc, etc.  Caring for accounts and growing credit scores.

In general, considering all the factors, how do my credit scores look?

Message 8 of 41
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

+1 increases are included if it requires a HP, if SP then your good

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 41
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Gardening is taking the time to let new accts/inq's age. Asking for or getting so CLI's and if you have any baddies-letting them age off.
Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.