cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Chase Freedom $5K!!!!

tag
norteyd

Approved for Chase Freedom $5K!!!!

This was the last brand of card that I wanted in my card portfolio and previous attempts had been very unsuccessful. I wasn't going to apply again until some of my inquiries fell off and my scores were in the mid 700s (currently high 600's and low 700's).  BUT, then I saw a promotion that Chase was having giving a $100 cash back check for new accounts (given that you spend $799 on the card within 3 months), plus 5% cash back on quarterly categories, with no annual fee.  I thought this was a great offer and decided to try my luck again.  i got the "7-10 days decision" message and almost gave up.  I'm the most impatient person I know and I like instant gratification so I decided to call the backdoor number and got a scary sounding lady.  She looked up my info and said "Sorry, it looks like you've been declined for excessive inquires".  Ughh! 

I took a deep breath, put on my brave face and told her that I would really like to be reconsidered as I feel I should not have been declined.  She verified some more information and asked about my recent applications for other cards as well as asked about my student loans.  I told her that I have not had any lates in over 3 years including all my other cards, and mortgage.  She did some more searching and asked me my income which I told her ($85K).  She said okay, hold on and I'll try and re-open your application and see what happens.  She put me on hold for about a minute while I held my breath. When she came back she said "Okay, you've been approved for the Chase Freedom Visa for $5K and will be getting your card and welcome package within a week".  Woohooooooo!!!!!  My very first successful recon!!

By the way last year my only cards were subprime one's with credit limits no more than $400 and annual fees up to $50/year.  This year I was determined to step out and be among the chosen ones.  The order of my applications are:

1. Discover More (instant approval for $4,500)

2. Nationwide Visa (instant approval for $1,500)

3. Amex Green (instant approval)

4. Bank of America Cash Rewards (approved after calling in for decision- $5K)

5. Chase Freedom (approved after recon $5K)

I also applied and got approved for store cards:  ValueCity ($2.5K), Sears ($1.7K), Jcpenny ($1.4K).

The cards I was declined for were USAA , Amex Blue and Citi.

By the way, my scores less than two years ago were in the low 400's. I have since cleaned up my credit and gotten a mortgage among the above successes.  I'm done applying for now until my old inquires fall off and then the last card I want to add is the Amex Blue that I hope to product change within the next two years.  I pay off all cards before they are due but allow a little balance to post once in a while and then pay off immediately.  Now that I'm done applying, my scores can continue to climb and recover from those inquiries. 

Good luck to everyone out there looking for a break!!

Starting Score: 452
Current Score: 677
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

We cannot become what we want to be by remaining what we are...
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Chase Freedom $5K!!!!

omg ... i like your style

you re  real fighter

you got all prime card

success

guuuuud jobbbbbbbbb

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nicely done! I received my Chase Freedom Visa (non-signature) and Bank of America Platinum Rewards Visa today. I totally forgot about the $100 bonus, thanks for reminding me!

And good luck on getting the Blue Cash, I have a feeling it will be your primary card Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Congrats..

Message 4 of 12
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the good work!!  You'll like the Freedom card.  I use mine all of the time.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I know whether a chase freedom card  is signature or non-signature?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!  Welcome to Chase Freedom Family   : )  

" The cards I was declined for were USAA , Amex Blue and Citi. "

Once you reach your goal ... even 750, you can try again if you still want to.

I think, most likely you are able to get those ccs (*not sure about USAA)  as long as keep-up the good work.

I do have Discover More too, but CL is only 2.5k and my lowest one.   I hope they will give me CLI someday.

Message 7 of 12
CrdtLrnr
New Contributor

Congratulations!!Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

How do I know whether a chase freedom card  is signature or non-signature?

Call and ask, if you don't have the card yet. Otherwise, you'll see a notation on the card.

If it's a Visa, look to see if it says Signature. If it's a Mastercard, look to see if it says World.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the mastercard and dont see WORLD in it.

What does it mean and signify?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.