cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Chase Sapphire and USAA World, 2 best cards?

tag
JerCastle

Approved for Chase Sapphire and USAA World, 2 best cards?

Hi all,

After ruining my credit 15 years ago, I have been steady rebuidling it since 2005. From low score of 500 back in 2005, I was able to qualify for a $300 Orchard bank card(now Capital One) in 2006.  A year later I was able to get a $750 card from Washington Mutual(now Chase).  A year after that with a score of around 570, I was able to get a Capital One card with a $1000 limit.

At the end of 2013, my scores were E: 687, EQ: 714, TU: 748

3 weeks ago I decided to take a chance and apply for two great cards, the Chase Sapphire Sapphire Preferred and USAA World Mastercard.  I was approved for both.  Chase gave me a CL of $6000 and USAA $7500.

Are there better cards than these two or should I be satisfied with these two?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Approved for Chase Sapphire and USSA Mastercard, 2 best card?

@JerCastle wrote:

Hi all,

After ruining my credit 15 years ago, I have been steady rebuidling it since 2005. From low score of 500 back in 2005, I was able to qualify for a $300 Orchard bank cars(now Capital One) in 2006.  A year later I was able to get a $750 card from Washington Mutual(not Chase).  A year after that with a score of around 570 I was able to get a Capital One card with a $1000 limit.

3 weeks ago I decided to take a chance and apply for two great cards, the Chase Sapphire Sapphire Preferred and USAA World Mastercard.  I was approved for both.  Chase gave me a CL of $6000 and USAA $7500.

Are there better cards than these two or should I be satisfied with these two cards?

Where do you spend your money?

Message 2 of 11
JerCastle

Re: Approved for Chase Sapphire and USAA World, 2 best cards?

Groceries, gas for car, once a year trip to Europe, student loan, utility bills, eating out, etc..

Message 3 of 11
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@JerCastle wrote:

Hi all,

After ruining my credit 15 years ago, I have been steady rebuidling it since 2005. From low score of 500 back in 2005, I was able to qualify for a $300 Orchard bank cars(now Capital One) in 2006.  A year later I was able to get a $750 card from Washington Mutual(not Chase).  A year after that with a score of around 570 I was able to get a Capital One card with a $1000 limit.

Are there better cards than these two or should I be satisfied with these two cards?

It really depends on your spending and the kind of rewards you want.  

Btw, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your rebuilding progress and the approvals. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@JerCastle wrote:

Groceries, gas for car, once a year trip to Europe, student loan, utility bills, etc..

American Express Blue Cash Preferred - Groceries and possibly gas

Capital One Quicksilver or perhaps Venture because I don't believe it has overseas charges and you would still earn I think 2% towards travel.

Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

WTG congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 11
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 7 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Cool, congrats Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Quicksilver or perhaps Venture because I don't believe it has overseas charges and you would still earn I think 2% towards travel.

I feel this is worth responding to.

FWIW, I talked to Cap1 online chat to ask if there were foreign transaction fees on the Quicksilver, and the rep said that they dont charge foreign transaction fees on any of their cards.

Has anyone heard different?

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 9 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Shock_ wrote:

I feel this is worth responding to.

FWIW, I talked to Cap1 online chat to ask if there were foreign transaction fees on the Quicksilver, and the rep said that they dont charge foreign transaction fees on any of their cards.

Has anyone heard different?

They haven't had FTF on any of their cards since at least  1999 (when I got my first).   It used to be a real differentiator for Cap One,  other issuers have slowly followed suit, but generally still only on some cards in their range.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.