cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Citi Diamond Preferred card last night. Can I request a CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Citi Diamond Preferred card last night. Can I request a CLI?

Hi All, first time posting here and I have to say so far I've learned a lot from this forum.

Last night I responded online to a pre-selected offer from Citi for a Diamond Preferred card and was instantly approved for a $2,500 CL and I was hoping for more (at least $5,000).

Is there anyway I can give them a call and request a CLI or would it be better to wait a few months?

My credit scores-

EQ- 816

EX- 766

TU- 815

Thank you

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approved for Citi Diamond Preferred card last night. Can I request a CLI?

Congrats!  Call for a CLI, you've got the scores.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 12
firesoul453
Contributor

My experience has been that credit card companies have a sort of tiral period. For example with Discover, there is no way without waiting 6 months.

However just call them and asked them.

I haven't tried with my Diamond preffered since I was just approved and havn't gotten my card yet. (That and I did get the 5k I wanted lol)

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 3 of 12
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

CONGRATS!!! Not sure how they came up with my limit of $4700????? But I love the card. Really cool looking.

Enjoy

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All, thanks for the fast responses.

I pretty much thought the same thing as firesoul and figured six months was the standard time to wait before requesting a CLI. Is it possible to use my credit scores as leverage to justify a higher CL even though I was only approved last night?

Also are there any posts on this forum that someone could point me to that discusses calling CC companies for CLI'S? I'm looking for some guidelines on how to approach this and want to increase my chances of getting a higher CLI on this new card.

Thank everyone, I appreciate the input.

Message 5 of 12
djrez4
Established Contributor

There are no "guidelines" per se.  

Last time I reconned a credit limit, I just called in and asked for a higher limit.  They didn't ask why and didn't confirm any information.  They simply punched some keys and came back with an approval for $5k (after an initial approval of $1k).

That said, I'd recommend having a reason for them.  Consider something like, "I'd like to run the majority of my spending through the card to get as many rewards as possible, but I don't want to have high utilization.  The current limit won't let me do that."  You may also have to verify income.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you djrez, I will call them up and tell them extactly what wrote.

For income verification my employer prefers to use "The Work Number" (www.theworknumber.com). Does anybody know if Citi uses this for verification? I tried setting it up but it was a pain and I would would rather use a different method for employment verification.

Message 7 of 12
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I'd say "gopherit" !  You've got the approval for the card, the worst they can say is no.  You still have a new TL and limit.

Citi can be very generous, and with your scores and presumed stellar history, I'd say you've probably got a good chance at an increase.

My Diamond Preferred was approved for $5k initially, I waited 6 months, got it doubled to $10k.  I could probably get more, but I don't really need it.

My Home Depot account through Citi is now up to $9.7K, started out at $3K, they just recently bumped me up to that figure. 

Message 8 of 12
CS800
Super Contributor

Great card to have. Cant beat the BT offer on it.

Message 9 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I want that card! With a score that high, you should have a big credit ego, as well as a $10k limit!!!
Citi approved a dear friend of mine for $2,100 on a TY Preferred, and she had like a 650 CS. Lol you have the leverage in this situation.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.