Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Citi Diamond Preferred!

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Approved for Citi Diamond Preferred!

I've been planning to apply for a Citi card for a while now.  They've been sending me apps for the Diamond Preferred for the past couple months.  So today, after getting yet another invitation, I decided to apply, and I was approved!  Only a $1,000 CL, but that's fine; my goal was to get a third revolving TL reporting on my CR as early as possible to start building more positive history, and Citi will do just fine for that.  Plus, this is definitely a card that will grow with me as my credit improves (I'm at a 648 EQ, 621 TU right now per myFICO).  I'm very pleased, and I can't wait for the card to come!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for Citi Diamond Preffered!

Did they pull EQ?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 12
Radio_Radiation
Established Member

Congrats!!!

I plan on apply for a citi bank card soon. Heard they are inq sensitive ... which Report did they pull from?

Fako Ex: 743, Fako Eq: 734 Fako TU: 748
I'm BACK in the Garden (App free since 01/02/2013)

Message 3 of 12
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure who they pulled; it didn't say anywhere on my application or approval who they pulled or what my score war.  From what little research I could do on who they pull in my state (DE), it seems like they tend to pull EQ; I found some older instances of them pulling TU, but that was back in 2007.  I'll post when I find out more.

Message 4 of 12
Dagansinferno
Valued Member

Congrats!

I applied for a Citi Forward - Student Card a few weeks ago, and was apparently denied. I got the message saying they were reviewing my application. I called the automated number, and bampf - denied. I asked my branch about it (since I've had 3 accounts with them about 6 years now). Don't have a lot of inquiries, 675 credit score, student, and 75k income..and no approval? That's largely why I'm closing my accounts and sticking with NFCU : )

But, that's great. I know they're quirky about cards, but you should (with low util, on-time payments, and heavy card use) be able to get that CL way up in the next couple years.

Message 5 of 12
J2W
Established Member

Yes they are very inq sensitive .i applied and was denied due to excessive inq .
Message 6 of 12
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@J2W wrote:
Yes they are very inq sensitive .i applied and was denied due to excessive inq .

How many inquries did you have?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 7 of 12
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Dagansinferno: That sounds strange; you should have been approved.  I'd call and ask for recon for sure.  Maybe you're not eligible for the student card?

I'm hoping you're right about the CL growing quickly.  Since this card doesn't have any rewards, it's really only useful with a low rate and a high CL.  And for looking sexy, of course; everyone loves a textured black CC.

Message 8 of 12
Dagansinferno
Valued Member

I know, I thought it was odd, too. But, sometimes banks, credit card lenders, etc...are quirky when it comes to those things. I heard the "standard recons" are very difficult for Citibank. I don't really want to risk a HP, especially if they do approve me, and let's say it's for $500, $800, $1000...I don't know if it's worth 2 HP's for that, you know? Not that a decline/inq is great either.

I do have a very good business relationship with my local branch, so I they're working on the recon for me and talking to the underwriters, etc. But, with them --at least in my experience so far-- things tend to take a very long time to get done. That is, I applied on June 28th, and it's going to be 15+ business days for them to make a decision (according to my branch representative --that is, that's what he was told--). Hopefully, they said, I could hear something back by today.

At any rate, not trying to steal your thunder : ) I was just slightly taken aback....

But, you're right the card you're approved for has little in the way of Thank You Rewards, etc. It's really a great "builder" card in terms of establishing a relationship with them. I'd say use the card fairly regularly, and potentially app for something else in the 12 month time-frame, and you should be good--of course hopefully with a couple CLI on the way!-- GL!

@LionLaw wrote:

Dagansinferno: That sounds strange; you should have been approved.  I'd call and ask for recon for sure.  Maybe you're not eligible for the student card?

I'm hoping you're right about the CL growing quickly.  Since this card doesn't have any rewards, it's really only useful with a low rate and a high CL.  And for looking sexy, of course; everyone loves a textured black CC.

Message 9 of 12
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approved for Citi Diamond Preferred!

Update: Citi pulled EQ.  Somehow, this caused my EQ FICO to go up 3 points (648->651).

I'm excited to see what my score bump will be next month; my util will go from $1700/3500 to $30/4000, and that's before my new Citi card even starts reporting.  Any guesses?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.