Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Macy's....couple of questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Macy's....couple of questions

I applied in store last Saturday and got approved.  Is there anyway I can find out if I got the Amex?  Or do I have to wait until I get the card?  I assumed I'd get it today at the latest, and it's not here.  Now I'm getting impatient!  According to CCT my EX FAKO was 715 at the time they pulled (no baddies, 4 positive tradelines, 13% UTIL -  oldest account is only 2 yrs and 2 months old though...and I have 10 inquiries :/ ) .  What are my chances that my real FICO is also above 700?  I read that they give the Amex to people with over 700 FICO so I have my fingers crossed.

Oh one more thing!  For those of you that applied in store, when they had you put your SSN in the keypad, did it also ask if you wanted to be considered for the Amex?  I read that was someone else's experience from a few months back, but I don't remember it asking me that.  Now I'm kind of scared that I wasn't even considered for it, or maybe I accidentally hit no.

In light of their recent changes to the store cards it would really suck if that is all I got!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Macy's....couple of questions

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied in store last Saturday and got approved.  Is there anyway I can find out if I got the Amex?  Or do I have to wait until I get the card?  I assumed I'd get it today at the latest, and it's not here.  Now I'm getting impatient!  According to CCT my EX FAKO was 715 at the time they pulled (no baddies, 4 positive tradelines, 13% UTIL -  oldest account is only 2 yrs and 2 months old though...and I have 10 inquiries :/ ) .  What are my chances that my real FICO is also above 700?  I read that they give the Amex to people with over 700 FICO so I have my fingers crossed.

Oh one more thing!  For those of you that applied in store, when they had you put your SSN in the keypad, did it also ask if you wanted to be considered for the Amex?  I read that was someone else's experience from a few months back, but I don't remember it asking me that.  Now I'm kind of scared that I wasn't even considered for it, or maybe I accidentally hit no.

In light of their recent changes to the store cards it would really suck if that is all I got!

I can only respond to the FAKO PLUS/FICO score questions.

Bottom line is, unfortunately, there's absolutely no correlation between CCT scores and FICO scores.

CCT loves me!  I mean they really really love me. 

According to them, my fako PLUS scores are EX 771, EQ 792, TU 780.         .

Problem is, I have a CH 13 BK on my credit reports. 

My real FICO scores are EX (loan pull) 723 (49 points difference); EQ 708 (84 points difference), and TU 723 (57 points difference).

It can be pretty dang frustrating - especially if you shelled out cash to get a PLUS score. I got fako PLUS scores from CCT and was pulling them when we did our mortgage app. That allowed us to compare all three PLUS and FICO scores for both DH and I - so six scores altogether. I also subscribe to ScoreWatch and get FICO EQ score updates that I compare with my ongoing CCT fako PLUS scores.

When we compared scores, they were all over the place. DH's PLUS EXP score was his highest, his FICO EXP score was his lowest. Mine was converse; my PLUS EXP score was my lowest and my FICO EXP score was high.

DH's PLUS score range between the three CRA's is less than 10 points. His FICO scores cover an almost 90 point range.

When companring FICO to PLUS, some of our scores were relatively close, some were 100 points off.

When my FICO went up, my PLUS did't. When my PLUS went up, my FICO went down. No pattern. No nothin'.

"The truth is, only Fair Isaac knows how FICO scores are calculated, and their formula is kept very secret. Other credit scores can sometimes come close to the mark, but they can be off by as much as 100 points either way. This is important because lenders don't use FAKO scores; they almost always use FICO. So it does you no good to know a score that a) isn't correct, b) won't be considered by lenders."

Experian is fairly straight forward in saying, "The Experian-developed PLUS Score model is a consumer-focused credit score." That means it is a product designed to sell to consumers. It is, in short, a cash cow. Because it is not designed to mirror FICO - but is designed as a consumer tool, it has differing criteria. That is also why the advice given along with PLUS and other FAKO scores is faulty when applied to FICO scoring. Following FAKO advice can, and does, lower FICO scores.

Hope that's helpful!

And best wishes on the Macy's card.  Things will probably settle themselves out during the next month or so and we'll see what we really have going on with the store card.  The AmEx, like the store card, has a  horrendous finance rate, so both these cards are definitely PIF'ers.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for taking the time to respond, it certainly did help a lot!  That sucks that they can be so different, I will have to call Patelco and see if they can tell me what my score was when they pulled a couple of weeks ago, though my utilization was higher at the time they pulled (30%).  I guess experian is being sued, for false advertising of scores, so we'll see how that goes.  I always knew that lenders don't care what your plus score is, but they could at least mention "The score that actually matters could be drastically different from this."  I did read somewhere that Macy's uses the PLUS score but I really doubt that is true, plus it was an old thread. 

Anyway, thank you for your help!

Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond, it certainly did help a lot!  That sucks that they can be so different, I will have to call Patelco and see if they can tell me what my score was when they pulled a couple of weeks ago, though my utilization was higher at the time they pulled (30%).  I guess experian is being sued, for false advertising of scores, so we'll see how that goes.  I always knew that lenders don't care what your plus score is, but they could at least mention "The score that actually matters could be drastically different from this."  I did read somewhere that Macy's uses the PLUS score but I really doubt that is true, plus it was an old thread. 

Anyway, thank you for your help!

If you ever find the source for that please let all of us know. It would be an interesting development if true. That would be the first lender I've seen that checks Plus scores.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I was unable to find the thread again but it was from another board anyway.  I do know that it was from 2005 or 2006, so even if it were true back then it could have/probably did change.  Pretty much what was said was that someone was told by a CSR that once their score reached a certain point, they could apply and they would reopen their store account.  When their FICO reached that score, they applied and they were denied.  They called and eventually they were told what their score was based on what they pulled.  That same day they went to pull their plus score from experian's site, and it was the same score the CSR had given him as reason for denial.  Later in the thread either they or someone else stated that they spoke to a CSR that told them they get their score directly from EX.  But that could mean anything, right?  Anyway, like I said, old thread, so this could all be completely useless information now!

Message 5 of 8
BobbyJ
Frequent Contributor

Fico 8 Scores: EX: 787 (6/25/21) EQ: 788 (6/12/21) TU: 750 (2/21/21)
Fico 9 Scores: EX: 799 (11/9/20) EQ: 794 (10/13/20)

Ch7 BK Filed on 10/13/2013 - Discharged 1/14/14

Amex Blue Cash Preferred $15K | Amex Gold Card | Citi Costco Visa $7700 | USBank Altitude Go Visa Sig $10K | USBank Cash+ Visa $8K | C1 Savor MC Elite $15K | C1 Venture One $10K | C1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K | C1 Quicksilver WMC $10K | Penfed Plat Rewards Visa $9,500 | Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa $11K | Discover IT $7500 | USAA Pref Rewards Visa $5K | Penfed Path Visa $10K | Logix FCU Plat MC $12K | SDCCU Plat Visa $2,500 | Best Buy Visa $2K | Chase Amazon Prime Visa Sig $500 | Consumers CU Visa Cash Rebate $5K | PNC Points Visa $2500 | JCPenney $1,800 | Abound CU Plat Visa $5K | Lowes $7K | HSN Card $3K | Walmart MasterCard $2K | Walmart Store Card $2K | Kohls $1K | Target Red Card $800 | QVC Card $800
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I was unable to find the thread again but it was from another board anyway.  I do know that it was from 2005 or 2006, so even if it were true back then it could have/probably did change.  Pretty much what was said was that someone was told by a CSR that once their score reached a certain point, they could apply and they would reopen their store account.  When their FICO reached that score, they applied and they were denied.  They called and eventually they were told what their score was based on what they pulled.  That same day they went to pull their plus score from experian's site, and it was the same score the CSR had given him as reason for denial.  Later in the thread either they or someone else stated that they spoke to a CSR that told them they get their score directly from EX.  But that could mean anything, right?  Anyway, like I said, old thread, so this could all be completely useless information now!

hopeful,

Right.  Macy's pulls from EX and almost certainly pulls an EX FICO when they do so.  Some of the public statements indicate that even though EX sells fako scores to the general public, they do not sell them to lenders.  That's a big part of the issue in the current lawsuit.  Here's a recent post with some info.  Thanks for taking the time to research - very nice work on your part.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I always thought that was very shady of them anyway.  If they don't want to sell us our real FICO's, fine, but why sell us any score at all then, especially one that is useless.  I'm sure everyone here knows it is not what lenders use, but the fact is most people don't.  In other news, I received my Macy's card today....just a store card Smiley Sad  I'm wondering if I opted out of applying for the Amex.   Or maybe the store rep opted out for me?  Oh well no use on dwelling on it now, my score just wasn't high enough and I have to accept it that haha  Regardless, I really regret applying for it now.    I have to go find out how to go about upgrading later.  What a bummer.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.