Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Highlighted
Established Member

Approved for Paypal Smart Connect: Should I keep it open?

Hey guys!

I applied for the Paypal MC, and a screen came up that said I was approved for something called the Paypal Smart Connect (it's like a store card offered by Paypal).  The limit was only $600, and honestly I will never use it.  My concern is that since my AA is only 1.3 years, this Smart Connect card will drop that number down even further, while only ffering me a $600 limit.  My utilization is like 2% so that's not an issue.  Can/should I close this account before it hits my CR?  Should I just keep it open anyway?  Currently, I'm rebuilding and have:

BofA secured $300 limit
CapOne secured  $300 limit
Orchard $300
Amazon Store Card $600 limit

GM Financial auto loan 5th year, no missed payments

Any advice would be appreciated!

Starting scores 2/13/12: TU - 575; EQ - 555; EX 590 (EX was BofA pull)
Current Scores 6/07/12 TU - 713, EQ - 628, EX 663 (All lender pulls)

EQ Fico jumped 48 points in one month by adding BofA secured card (Had no revolving accounts on CR at all at the time)
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approved for Paypal Smart Connect: Should I keep it open?

[ Edited ]

Keep it open anyway unless you can get it closed w/o it's hitting your CR.

Closing an account isn't going to help / hurt your AAoA immediately, and in this case, opening a card, and then immediately closing it is going to look rather, well, silly and childish to any future lender reviewing your report... and it's going to possibly stick out like a sore thumb which you'll need to explain probably every time on recon for the next 10 years.  Just close it after a year or two and ain't no big thing.

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 693, EQ 8 716, TU 8 713, EX 8 740 (09/06/16)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/17)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor

I would say to keep it open your still young into rebuilding 1.3 years and the sooner you can get cards the better for your age later.  Say 5 years from now you apply for a loan or something else, this will keep the age of those 2 accounts to 2.5 years (plus whatever other accounts you have in good statnding of course).  GL on your journey to prime land!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it makes you feel any better, I believe you can still link your paypal smart connect account to your paypal debit card. That way it turns your smart connnect account into a mastercard. I think it has been posted here on the forum before, I forgot the steps, but I'll try and dig it up later.

CH7 Discharged: 4-14-16
Rebuilding in Progress.....
May 2016 - EX: 594, TU: 582, EQ: 619
July 2016 - EX: 629, TU: 600, EQ: 622
Epic Contributor

tps7c wrote:

Hey guys!

I applied for the Paypal MC, and a screen came up that said I was approved for something called the Paypal Smart Connect (it's like a store card offered by Paypal).  The limit was only $600, and honestly I will never use it.  My concern is that since my AA is only 1.3 years, this Smart Connect card will drop that number down even further, while only ffering me a $600 limit.  My utilization is like 2% so that's not an issue.  Can/should I close this account before it hits my CR?  Should I just keep it open anyway?  Currently, I'm rebuilding and have:

BofA secured $300 limit
CapOne secured  $300 limit
Orchard $300
Amazon Store Card $600 limit

GM Financial auto loan 5th year, no missed payments

Any advice would be appreciated!

you have a 713 TU (Fico?)

Why would you never use it? You applied for it?  I understand store card with like no rewards vs. MasterCard but the ease of check out! I would keep it!!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.