Established Member
tps7c

Approved for Paypal Smart Connect: Should I keep it open?

Hey guys!

I applied for the Paypal MC, and a screen came up that said I was approved for something called the Paypal Smart Connect (it's like a store card offered by Paypal).  The limit was only $600, and honestly I will never use it.  My concern is that since my AA is only 1.3 years, this Smart Connect card will drop that number down even further, while only ffering me a $600 limit.  My utilization is like 2% so that's not an issue.  Can/should I close this account before it hits my CR?  Should I just keep it open anyway?  Currently, I'm rebuilding and have:

BofA secured $300 limit
CapOne secured  $300 limit
Orchard $300
Amazon Store Card $600 limit

GM Financial auto loan 5th year, no missed payments

Any advice would be appreciated!

Starting scores 2/13/12: TU - 575; EQ - 555; EX 590 (EX was BofA pull)
Current Scores 6/07/12 TU - 713, EQ - 628, EX 663 (All lender pulls)

EQ Fico jumped 48 points in one month by adding BofA secured card (Had no revolving accounts on CR at all at the time)
Revelate

Re: Approved for Paypal Smart Connect: Should I keep it open?

[ Edited ]

Keep it open anyway unless you can get it closed w/o it's hitting your CR.

Closing an account isn't going to help / hurt your AAoA immediately, and in this case, opening a card, and then immediately closing it is going to look rather, well, silly and childish to any future lender reviewing your report... and it's going to possibly stick out like a sore thumb which you'll need to explain probably every time on recon for the next 10 years.  Just close it after a year or two and ain't no big thing.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
skyisthelimit

I would say to keep it open your still young into rebuilding 1.3 years and the sooner you can get cards the better for your age later.  Say 5 years from now you apply for a loan or something else, this will keep the age of those 2 accounts to 2.5 years (plus whatever other accounts you have in good statnding of course).  GL on your journey to prime land!

Valued Contributor
Datx

[ Edited ]

If it makes you feel any better, I believe you can still link your paypal smart connect account to your paypal debit card. That way it turns your smart connnect account into a mastercard. I think it has been posted here on the forum before, I forgot the steps, but I'll try and dig it up later.

TU: 603 – EQ: 569 – EX: N/A – May 2010

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

tps7c wrote:

Hey guys!

I applied for the Paypal MC, and a screen came up that said I was approved for something called the Paypal Smart Connect (it's like a store card offered by Paypal).  The limit was only $600, and honestly I will never use it.  My concern is that since my AA is only 1.3 years, this Smart Connect card will drop that number down even further, while only ffering me a $600 limit.  My utilization is like 2% so that's not an issue.  Can/should I close this account before it hits my CR?  Should I just keep it open anyway?  Currently, I'm rebuilding and have:

BofA secured $300 limit
CapOne secured  $300 limit
Orchard $300
Amazon Store Card $600 limit

GM Financial auto loan 5th year, no missed payments

Any advice would be appreciated!

you have a 713 TU (Fico?)

Why would you never use it? You applied for it?  I understand store card with like no rewards vs. MasterCard but the ease of check out! I would keep it!!

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}