cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Paypal Smart Connect: Should I keep it open?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Paypal Smart Connect: Should I keep it open?

Hey guys!

I applied for the Paypal MC, and a screen came up that said I was approved for something called the Paypal Smart Connect (it's like a store card offered by Paypal).  The limit was only $600, and honestly I will never use it.  My concern is that since my AA is only 1.3 years, this Smart Connect card will drop that number down even further, while only ffering me a $600 limit.  My utilization is like 2% so that's not an issue.  Can/should I close this account before it hits my CR?  Should I just keep it open anyway?  Currently, I'm rebuilding and have:

BofA secured $300 limit
CapOne secured  $300 limit
Orchard $300
Amazon Store Card $600 limit

GM Financial auto loan 5th year, no missed payments

Any advice would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approved for Paypal Smart Connect: Should I keep it open?

Keep it open anyway unless you can get it closed w/o it's hitting your CR.

Closing an account isn't going to help / hurt your AAoA immediately, and in this case, opening a card, and then immediately closing it is going to look rather, well, silly and childish to any future lender reviewing your report... and it's going to possibly stick out like a sore thumb which you'll need to explain probably every time on recon for the next 10 years.  Just close it after a year or two and ain't no big thing.

        
Message 2 of 5
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

I would say to keep it open your still young into rebuilding 1.3 years and the sooner you can get cards the better for your age later.  Say 5 years from now you apply for a loan or something else, this will keep the age of those 2 accounts to 2.5 years (plus whatever other accounts you have in good statnding of course).  GL on your journey to prime land!

Message 3 of 5
Datx
Valued Contributor

If it makes you feel any better, I believe you can still link your paypal smart connect account to your paypal debit card. That way it turns your smart connnect account into a mastercard. I think it has been posted here on the forum before, I forgot the steps, but I'll try and dig it up later.

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys!

I applied for the Paypal MC, and a screen came up that said I was approved for something called the Paypal Smart Connect (it's like a store card offered by Paypal).  The limit was only $600, and honestly I will never use it.  My concern is that since my AA is only 1.3 years, this Smart Connect card will drop that number down even further, while only ffering me a $600 limit.  My utilization is like 2% so that's not an issue.  Can/should I close this account before it hits my CR?  Should I just keep it open anyway?  Currently, I'm rebuilding and have:

BofA secured $300 limit
CapOne secured  $300 limit
Orchard $300
Amazon Store Card $600 limit

GM Financial auto loan 5th year, no missed payments

Any advice would be appreciated!

you have a 713 TU (Fico?)

Why would you never use it? You applied for it?  I understand store card with like no rewards vs. MasterCard but the ease of check out! I would keep it!!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.