Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Sears Mastercard

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

Approved for Sears Mastercard

I'm in shock.  I just started trying to clean up my credit & was approved just last month for 2 CC from NFCU.  (they absolutely ROCK!) 

Anyway, was at Sears buying some stuff DH conned (I mean convinced) me into thinking he had to have.  The cashier asked if I wanted to apply so I would save $15 on my purchase.  I almost said no but said sure why not.  Was turned down initially for Sears Mastercard (through Citibank) but was offered Sears Mastercard (through HSBC).  No annual fee & the interest rate was only a little higher.  Only a $300 CL but hey this is really my first "approval" on a long time for a card.  I'm not sure who they pulled but only my EQ is half-way decent at 623 FICO. 

I definately recommend app in the store as I've been turned down for various other store cards recently.  Also have been turned down by HSBC recently. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Sears Mastercard

Congrats, I believe that card offers a free monthly Experian credit score.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval..
Message 3 of 4
mt2va
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone for the congrats.  So now someone explain this to me.  Last week when I app in store I was denied the initial Sears gold MC (by Citibank) but they counter-offered the Sears Solutions (by HSBC) with no AF, but only $300 limit which I took. 

Anyway was conned (um convinced) once again by my DH to run to Sears & pick up a few things in their sale flyer.  Well it just so happens my new Sears Solutions MC had just arrived in the email & came with a coupon for $10 off $50 purchase.  Well got to Sears & several things were out of stock.  So looking at comparable items, which were of course more expensive, I commented that my CL was only $300 & I didn't want to max it out.  The salesmen said sometimes they can get it increased if I've had the card at least 6 weeks & made my 1st payment.  None of which were the case. 

So anyway after an hour of looking at stuff (& talking to DH via cell phone while he looked up models etc online)  the salesman said something about running my credit for a Sears Plus CC (backed by Citibank) & I'm like no they just denied me last week.  He said this was a different CC.  I app & was approved for $1,800 instantly!  Makes no sense to me but I'm happy.  I'm a little confused about which card this is exactly.  So Sears offers a Gold MC (via Citibank), Solutions MC (via HSBC), & then a Plus Card (via Citibank)?? 

I'm a little worried about the hit on my AAofA.  This is my 4th new account in the last month.  I checked my AAofA after opening the other Sears account last week & it was still around 5 years which isn't too bad.  Also is there any point to having the 2 different Sears CC?  Should I cancel the little $300 HSBC backed one??  Or just PIF the only purchase I made on it & sock drawer it???  (with the occasional purchase from time to time) 

This gives me 4 positive revolving TL added in the last month.  (I had none previously)  The extra $1,800 I'm sure is doing wonders for my utilization. 

Also any input on if this will mess up any chance I have of re-fi my car loan??  Should I hold off another month or two before I apply for that so they can see I'm handling my new CC & making payments on them.  

So apparently Sears loves me as well as NFCU!   

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.