Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Visa Black card...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Visa Black card...

So as a joke to my DH I applied for the Visa Black card knowing that I would never pay $500 a year+ for such a stupid card. I also thought that with 600 eq I'd never be approved...

Well, I was instantly approved now I feel really dumb, how can I cancel this thing? ughh!!

P.S: What kind of "exclusive" card would accept a 600 eq? Seems like a secured card considering the huge AF.

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approved for Visa Black card...

Wow..nice to meet you!

"Barclays Bank has designed the offer for less than 1% of the American population"

Sorry, just teasing..hope you can get out of this, maybe they will send you back a message that "after futher review you were not approved at this time" type deal, even though you got an instant approval. 

Message 2 of 47
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

You don't have to activate the card and pay the fee do you?

Also, why would you waste an inquiry? Seems like something you could come to regret if your situation changes much in the next year.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 47
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

One of you has an odd sense of humor.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 4 of 47
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

They look at your Transunion score, they have approved the card for a guy who had a FICO of 598 a while back.

Message 5 of 47
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

What kind of perks do you get for the $500 AF? Smiley Surprised

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 6 of 47
jberg

The best thing is the concierge service.  I use them pretty frequently since I'm a avid traveler.  It helps when I'm in Bali and trying to figure out where a good restaurant is when nobody speaks great English.  Just nice to hear familiar voices and people who genuinely want to help.

I understand everyone's frustration and concerns with the annual fees, but you have to understand that the demographic that VISA Black is targeting are the people who don't really think twice about an annual $495 fee.  Think of us as stupid people, but it truly is negligible.  Now some people may qualify and get approved for it, but if they are complaining about the annual fee, I want to say it was an accident that they would approved.  

I have an AMEX plat as well and I'll be quite honest.  Based on the benefits that suit me, I actually don't prefer either one over the other.  They both have excellent concierge services and sometimes it makes me wonder if its the same operators answering the phones for both. hmmm?  I will tell you this.  When I'm at a restaurant with friends and I have this egotistic urge to show off a bit, I'm not going to pull out my plastic AMEX platinum card.  I'll either pull out my Palladium or the VISA Black.  They just look cooler.  Let's be honest here, if we were not egotistical type of people, we would all drive Toyota Tercels.  

It is easier to be honest when I'm hiding behind a forum nick name.

Annual Sal: $265,000 year, VP @ Software company in Silicon Valley

Spending habit: $20-30K on credit cards a year

Traveling habit: once a month

loving life.
Message 7 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jberg wrote:

The best thing is the concierge service.  I use them pretty frequently since I'm a avid traveler.  It helps when I'm in Bali and trying to figure out where a good restaurant is when nobody speaks great English.  Just nice to hear familiar voices and people who genuinely want to help.

I understand everyone's frustration and concerns with the annual fees, but you have to understand that the demographic that VISA Black is targeting are the people who don't really think twice about an annual $495 fee.  Think of us as stupid people, but it truly is negligible.  Now some people may qualify and get approved for it, but if they are complaining about the annual fee, I want to say it was an accident that they would approved.  

I have an AMEX plat as well and I'll be quite honest.  Based on the benefits that suit me, I actually don't prefer either one over the other.  They both have excellent concierge services and sometimes it makes me wonder if its the same operators answering the phones for both. hmmm?  I will tell you this.  When I'm at a restaurant with friends and I have this egotistic urge to show off a bit, I'm not going to pull out my plastic AMEX platinum card.  I'll either pull out my Palladium or the VISA Black.  They just look cooler.  Let's be honest here, if we were not egotistical type of people, we would all drive Toyota Tercels.  

It is easier to be honest when I'm hiding behind a forum nick name.

@Annual Sal: $265,000 year, VP @ Software company in Silicon Valley

Spending habit: $20-30K on credit cards a year

Traveling habit: once a month

Hate to break it to you, but while the Visa black may look and feel cool, the club is not exclusive.  Practically anybody can qualify.

Message 8 of 47
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

My dog scoffed at the preapproval he received earlier this week for Visa black.

It seems like a scam preying on those that want to feel exclusive, but really aren't, but jberg is definitely not the first person I've heard praise the concierge service, so maybe it could be worth the $500 AF.

It sounds like to you, you've already decided it isn't, so I'm not sure why you applied, lol.  To each their own, I guess.  You should be able to cancel upon receiving the card.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 9 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thrasher865 wrote:

My dog scoffed at the preapproval he received earlier this week for Visa black.

It seems like a scam preying on those that want to feel exclusive, but really aren't, but jberg is definitely not the first person I've heard praise the concierge service, so maybe it could be worth the $500 AF.

It sounds like to you, you've already decided it isn't, so I'm not sure why you applied, lol.  To each their own, I guess.  You should be able to cancel upon receiving the card.

A colleague has the Visa Black.  Funny thing is that their concierge service is the same as that available with Navy Federal's platinum card.  But with Navy the annual fee is $0, the CL twice as high and the APR 1/3 as much.

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.