Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved from Discovery More - iniitial limit disappointing

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Approved from Discovery More - iniitial limit disappointing

@tiff wrote:

Was just approved for the Discover More Card.  Initial limit is 1000.00.  Was hoping for at least 3000.00.  Is 1000.00 normal?

While I'm truly sorry that you're disappointed, let me offer you another view point...

My score is roughly equal to yours... (EQ=664) and Discover gave you $1,000 more credit than they'll give me.  Smiley Sad

No baddies on any of my cra's...but lots of inquiries. 

(Is 33 a lot?  Smiley Tongue)

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 11 of 21
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

$1,000 is very good starting limit. I think $3,000 might be pushing it a little. I do believe the 2 30 day late payments in the last 2 years may have hurt you a little. i doubt the ones from 4 years ago did much damage.

Message 12 of 21
tiff
Regular Contributor

I understand that the 30 days late may be contributing, but I have a 15 year credit history, no collections, no public records, many, many accounts listed as paid as agreed and very few inquiries. Also, no late mortgages. Over a 15 year period, these are the only flaws I have on my credit report. Still not understanding.
Message 13 of 21
tiff
Regular Contributor

Those are a lot of inquires. I have a few.
Message 14 of 21
tiff
Regular Contributor

Yea. The recent late may be contributing. Thanks everyone!
Message 15 of 21
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Sounds like they're treating you like the new kid on the block.

I had the same 1k approval (back in '96). It'll grow if you don't carry a balance.

Message 16 of 21
kulamrazool82
Valued Member

I have only got 1K with 693 (EQ). No baddies. I called them to get approved. Mine is thin file with 1 year of credit history,  I had 4 cards (1 Visa, 2MC, 1 Store card) while applying, overall util was under 25% and AAoA was 8 months.  Credit Analyst was very much concerned about my thin file and only approved 1K. I tried negoatiate with him for 2K but he denied my request and asked me to wait for CLI after 6 months. 

I love my discover card, I am using that for all small purchases and planning to pif every month only to get decent CLI after 6 months. 

- Syed

Scores: 723 (EX CITI Pull 11/09/13), 669 (CK 11/21/13), 680 (EQ Duck Card Score 11/11/13) 664 (Walmart TU FICO Nov '13)
Duck Card - 12K | Amex BCE - 2K | Amex Costco - 1.2K | CITI TY Pref - 6.5K | Chase Freedom - 3K | DCU Visa - 5K | Genisys CU Visa - 2K | Discover More - 4.5K | Cap1 Q Silver - 1500 | Cap One Hassle Free - 1500 | Amazon Store - 1900 | Walmart Store - 800 | Kohls - 300 | Macys - 800
Message 17 of 21
CS800
Super Contributor

The Good:

You're in with Discover and they are very conservative. But they will grow

The Bad:

A $1K CL is disappointing

It goes to show how YMMV. I had a similar credit profile as you. Discover was the first prime I got last year and back then my total revolving credit was $1900 on 3 cards. They gave me $6500. I was hoping back then for at least a $2K CL.

So dont be too disapppointed. Just use them well and they will be good to you. It pays to Discover Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 21
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

The Good:

The Bad:

It goes to show how YMMV. I had a similar credit profile as you. Discover was the first prime I got last year and back then my total revolving credit was $1900 on 3 cards. They gave me $6500. I was hoping back then for at least a $2K CL.

So dont be too disapppointed. Just use them well and they will be good to you. It pays to Discover Smiley Happy

Discover will certainly grow with you though. My Discover More started out at $500.

Message 19 of 21
CS800
Super Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

The Good:

The Bad:

Discover will certainly grow with you though. My Discover More started out at $500.

It sure will

When did you get your Discover and what is your current CL if I may ask?

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.