cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approximately how much is each Hilton Honors Point worth in cash value?

tag
Agent86
New Contributor

Approximately how much is each Hilton Honors Point worth in cash value?

I have Amex BCP and Hilton Honors. 

BCP gives 6% cash back at US supermarkets, 3% cash back at US gas stations and dept stores, and 1% back on everything else

HH gives, among other things, 7HH points for Hilton purchases, 5 HH points per dollar at restsurants, supermarkets and gas stations, and 3 points for everything else.

I'm pretty sure BCP wins in the supermarket category, and HH wins for Hilton hotels and resturants. 

How do i determine which card it's advantageous to use in the gas station and everything else categories?  

What is the approximate cash value of an HH Point?

Citi Platinum Dividend $34,600 line, 14.2%%
Bank of America Platinum Rewards, $85,000 line, 13.99%
Discover It $50,000 line, 20.9%
Amex Blue Cash Preferred $18,000 line, 9.99%
Capital One Venture One, $8,500 line, 20.9%
Amex Hilton Honors $25,000 line, 17.24%

Amex Delta Platinum, 20,000 line, 22.99%
Belk store card, $124 line, 15%, $0 balance on all cards
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Approximately how much is each Hilton Honors Point worth in cash value?

@Agent86 wrote:

I have Amex BCP and Hilton Honors. 

BCP gives 6% cash back at US supermarkets, 3% cash back at US gas stations and dept stores, and 1% back on everything else

HH gives, among other things, 7HH points for Hilton purchases, 5 HH points per dollar at restsurants, supermarkets and gas stations, and 3 points for everything else.

I'm pretty sure BCP wins in the supermarket category, and HH wins for Hilton hotels and resturants. 

How do i determine which card it's advantageous to use in the gas station and everything else categories?  

What is the approximate cash value of an HH Point?

Hilton points are worth around 0.5-0.8 cents per points. 

@CreditScholar gave a more detailed explanation:

@CreditScholar wrote:

This offer has been around for quite some time (a few months I think). It disappeared for awhile, and now it's back again using the link that enharu posted.

Hilton's redemption rates are awful if you're primarily staying domestically, but if you travel internationally there are still some good values out there. 0.7-0.8 cpp is a good target for international redemptions, whereas domestically getting 0.5-0.6 cpp is more realistic.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 3
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approximately how much is each Hilton Honors Point worth in cash value?

As enharu and CS have said, there is a wide range of what the points could be worth. If you aren't careful, you could get less than half a cent per point. For example, some places cost 95,000 points, but you could stay there during the week for like 300 bucks, making point values a joke. However, just make wise decisions when you use them. For example, embassy suites in napa has rooms during a certain month for 279 a night, or 40000 points. As an elite member, which you get with the card, every fifth reward nght is free. Thus:

five nights with points: 160,000

five nights for cash: 279 * 5 = 1395

points value = .87 per point.

Thus, with a Surpass, you would get 2.61% for general spend (3 points per dollar), 5.22% for supermarkets, gas stations, and restaurants (6 ppd), and 10.44% when used at Hilton hotels (12 ppd) (not including the default points you get there anyway).

Adjust as needed for the card you have.

However, as they stated, be careful where and how you use your points, or they could be worth squat.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.