cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are American Express cards considered the most Elite?

tag
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: Are American Express cards considered the most Elite?

While Centurion is a card for rich with good credit, it is not the most desirable card for rich.

Coutts & Co World Card

http://www.coutts.com/productsandservices/worldcard.asp

CitiBank Ultima (Germany, Russia, Asia, Middle East)

NatWest Black Card

a minimum credit limit £15,000, 51.8% apr

http://www.natwest.com/private/banking/credit-cards/black-credit-card.ashx

Dubai First

http://www.dubaifirst.com/en/credit-cards-benefits/royale.html

SantanderUnlimited MasterCard Black

no more than 3000 cards in circulation

Visa Infinite Bkack Card Visa by Bank of do not laugh Nigeria

$30K minimum credit limit, 29% APR

And of course AMEX CENTURION.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 31 of 39
score_building
Senior Contributor

jackg wrote:

DI,

AMEX ran a very succesful marketing campaign back in the 60's & 70's. to distinguish themselves from Diners Club, their main competitor.The reason  they succeeded was that  they created a certain cache' such as Cadillac  was able to do back before the luxury imports like Mercedes and BMW.

AMEX and Diners Club were charge cards not credit cards. The balance was due in full within 30 days of the statement date. For me at the time they were both useful because I was a salesman and did a lot of travel and entertaining (they actually were called T&E cards). Most salespeople, back in the day had to creat a float for the cash they needed to operate. AMEX and Diners Club supplied the float. As AMEX succeeded and expanded Diners Club chose not to leave their comfort zone of the T&E card history they had and eventually lost touch with their customer base who were moving forward withe first "credit card" called BankAmericard. I got one right away because it widened the time float. AMEX went on to the credit business following the BankAmericard business model. But they kept their charge card and created the "Corporate Car" as a supplement.

All the time these things were evolving AMEX was the most successful at growing their image of superiority and the Cache' around their products. In the past decade or so they have begun to cater to the "Celebrity" segment and to market the fact that they do it thus further enhancing the Cache'. 

The reason for their success, in my opinion, is they play on the psyches and egos of people. A lot of people, with low self-esteem, will think better of themselves if they can have the same credit card as Ellen Degenares, for example. They know people and how fragile their psyches & egos are and play them along to their benefit.

spot on jackg - this is one of the most compelling reasons for their staying power and continues to be the driving force behind the advertising campaigns of amex and other ccc.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 32 of 39
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

51.8% APR? Whoa...
Here we go again...
Message 33 of 39
DI
Super Contributor

I'm still waiting to get my first AMEX card in my hands.  I was approved on August 13th  I first applied July 8th and was decline.  Applied again August 7 through determination.  Was declined again, and requested a recon due to my high FICO scores.  So basically it took 3 chances to get approve.

If AMEX isn't elite, they sure do act it!!

Message 34 of 39
score_building
Senior Contributor

whatever works but to reapp and recon amex in this climate seems like asking for a rocky relationship from the outset.  in any case, hope it will be smooth sailing for you from this point forward.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 35 of 39
DI
Super Contributor

I'm not sure what the problem was. I was approve for $2000.    The CSR mentioned something about a risk score.  I told her I have high FICO scores.  I basically was telling her witout saying it, I don't care about a Experian risk score.  She offered to have my credit report sent to be manually  reviewed.  Got approved the 2 days later.

I  needed the AMEX card to complete my credit card picture.

I now have 2 mastercards, 2 visas, Discover and the AMEX.  I am done apping until July 2011.    Do I need a Diners card?

Message 36 of 39
marty56
Super Contributor

AE is sub-prime, sub-human, but very good at AA.  Way back when I was in a DMP program, they closed my Green card which was probably the ancestor of AA,  yet right after I finished the program, they sent me pre-aprovals for the green and gold card.

The chrage a big annual fee and I feel most cards that do are subprime.  Perks or not.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 37 of 39
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

I'm not sure what the problem was. I was approve for $2000.    The CSR mentioned something about a risk score.  I told her I have high FICO scores.  I basically was telling her witout saying it, I don't care about a Experian risk score.  She offered to have my credit report sent to be manually  reviewed.  Got approved the 2 days later.

I now have 2 mastercards, 2 visas, Discover and the AMEX.  I am done apping until July 2011.    Do I need a Diners card?

Why would you need this extremely difficult to get, uber prime charge card? While it carries a MC logo it is a T&E card. If you revolve more that 30 days - i.e. generate a past due balance the fee is 2.5%! This card is intended for corporate and professional use. It is of interest to major travelers only.

Message 38 of 39
DI
Super Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@DI wrote:

Why would you need this extremely difficult to get, uber prime charge card? While it carries a MC logo it is a T&E card. If you revolve more that 30 days - i.e. generate a past due balance the fee is 2.5%! This card is intended for corporate and professional use. It is of interest to major travelers only.

Oh! I don't need another mastercard.   I was going to apply for a line of credit, but since Discover allow cash by during purcahses at certain stores, I don't need a line of credit.  I'm done apping.  

Message Edited by DI on 08-17-2009 04:05 PM
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.