Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are CLI's considered new credit

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Are CLI's considered new credit

We all know that adding a new TL to the credit report sometimes will result in denial of new credit card.  What about CLI's to these affect getting a new credit card; I have been under the impression that it didn't but I have also learned that credit is a strange game  So if the experts would chime in I would appreciate it.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Are CLI's considered new credit

No, a credit line increase on an existing account is NOT considered "new" credit.

Any new account or trade line, is.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

CLI is asking for new credit. It won't show another TL or hurt AAoA on CR, but it is new credit.

Message 3 of 9
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Are lenders able to see the requests for CLI   even if it's a soft pull.....I'm g sure they are able to see Trade Line limits  just wonder how this affects you when applying for new credit cards.  Seems that it would help to see increasing credit lines from other lenders.

@trumpet-205 wrote:

CLI is asking for new credit. It won't show another TL or hurt AAoA on CR, but it is new credit.

Message 4 of 9
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

New Credit can mean different things. I think the answer to your flavor of the question is "no"

CLIs are additional credit but unless a creditor is keeping records of your past reports, they probably won't notice it. It can affect util, and does affect total available credit, but there's nothing on your record from a CLI that says HEY LOOK AT ME MY CREDIT LINE WENT UP 100 DOLLARS, just the next month your CL is higher. And there's nothing that I've noticed differentiating a CLI request HP from any other sort of HP (i.e. new account request). 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 5 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I beg to differ, I believe it's experian that lists CL as "$500 CL from 1/14-2/14, $2000 CL from 2/14-5/14, $10,000 CL from 5/14-6/14" so creditors can see when you got CLIs. Not that I think it matters.
Message 6 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

Are lenders able to see the requests for CLI   even if it's a soft pull.....I'm g sure they are able to see Trade Line limits  just wonder how this affects you when applying for new credit cards.  Seems that it would help to see increasing credit lines from other lenders.

Many lenders that you have existing relationship with keep records of your CR, so they can compare the latest one to your old one. So they can definitely see any CLI or CLD.

Message 7 of 9
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Like everyone has said, in a broad sense you can call it new credit because you didn't have it before. however,

-No, it will not adversely affect your score in the way that opening up a new account will.

-If anything, it will improve your score due to lower utilization.

-Lenders will not see a soft pull made by anyone except themselves.

-Lenders will se a HP and have no way of telling if it was for a CLI or a new account. They'll usually just count the HPs, not analyze each one to death.

-It is possible they might notice a CLI on one of your lines if they are keeping that close of an eye on each of your accounts. I usually can't see that being a bad thing though, they see you are being responsible with credit. I did have BofA deny a CLI once though because I had 'sufficient' credit already on other cards.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

+1 (new credit)

and yes it can impact approval chances for a new card. Even if a SP CLI any lender on manual review can see the CL history on your report and it will show initial CL and dates of CLIs Smiley Happy.... it clearly shows on Experian not sure on others never paid too much attention.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.