Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Chase/Citi Recons ALWAYS HPs?

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Are Chase/Citi Recons ALWAYS HPs?

Hello - Yesterday I was approved for a Freedom with a CL of $4000 and on Friday Citi TY Preferred for $5000 -     I am about to put a $3000 charge on one of these cards as soon as I get them.   I was planning to recon - especially the Freedom which is my lowest major CC CL.  Someone said that it would be a HP for each.  Is this the case for everyone, or are there some of you who got increases without a HP -   I mean, my goodness - those credit reports are just hours old - but I guess it one way to lower the number of people calling in for recons. Smiley Happy

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Are Chase/Citi Recons ALWAYS HPs?

I did not recon a credit limit, but I reconned 3 times to get my freedom, and there was only one total HP (the initial app HP). 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

If you are trying to recon for a higher CL, its most likely going to be treated as a CLI request, which means a HP is required.

For citi, they may tell you that you can try asking for a CL. And then after you finally decide to do it, they may tell you that your account is ineligible because it's too new even though they pulled a new inquiry. This has happened to several people, so beware of that. Don't put too much faith in what their CSRs tell you.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I think you're stuck with each of those CLs for now... why waste 2 HPs for a denial of a CLI?
Message 4 of 8
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:
I think you're stuck with each of those CLs for now... why waste 2 HPs for a denial of a CLI?

I have absolutely no intention of taking a HP on either of these cards -  I want to know what seems to be the general overall experience of folks who have made these requests.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

Hello - Yesterday I was approved for a Freedom with a CL of $4000 and on Friday Citi TY Preferred for $5000 -     I am about to put a $3000 charge on one of these cards as soon as I get them.   I was planning to recon - especially the Freedom which is my lowest major CC CL.  Someone said that it would be a HP for each.  Is this the case for everyone, or are there some of you who got increases without a HP -   I mean, my goodness - those credit reports are just hours old - but I guess it one way to lower the number of people calling in for recons. Smiley Happy

Chase I hear is very good about recon initial CL's but most also seem to get a 2nd hp on TU.

Citi I find almost impossible to recon and seek higher CL's unless it's a co-branded card like Home Depot or something!

Message 6 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Changingmantra wrote:

Chase I hear is very good about recon initial CL's but most also seem to get a 2nd hp on TU.

Citi I find almost impossible to recon and seek higher CL's unless it's a co-branded card like Home Depot or something!

+1

Like the others have mentioned OP, the general consensus is HP for both lenders, again with no guarantee they will CLI even after taking the hit...YEMV.

Message 7 of 8
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Thanks All - I will am cool with what I have. I will see where I am a year from now with both cards. In the meantime - I will sit back an enjoy having been approved for the cards at all. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.