Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Citi Good With CLI's?

tag
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Are Citi Good With CLI's?

Hi All

I got my Citi card about 2 weeks ago - $4,500 CL, I pretty quickly ran up $378 and paid it off as soon as it showed on my transactions - I paid it thru a rep that i was talking to online because I didn't have a pay button showing - so she handled it for me.

Rep messed up (so it seems) and they took $756 - a double payment, no problem - I let it ride

Today, I spent $1600 and will pay it off again as soon as it hits - by the end of this week for sure

I know todays amount was more than i probably should have spent with a $4500 CL - pretty high util, but i'm hoping that by paying it off within a couple of days it won't do me too much "damage"

I'm hoping todays spend doesn't spoil my chance of a CL in a few months time?

Thanks all - hope ur having a great holiday!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Are Citi Good With CLI's?

Utilization is only calculated when the balance is reported the the Credit Reporting Agencies, usually (but not always) when the statement cuts.   So high balances before then won't impact utilization.   Now Citi, since it is their card, will know your spending, but I doubt if this will count against you.   Citi CLIs are a mystery to many of us, so it's hard to say if they are good or not.  Some report multiple auto-CLIs, others never get them (and this includes me).  If you request it, it might be soft or hard.

Message 2 of 6
patternofstars7
Contributor

I've personally never had any problems with CLI with Citi with showing a balance. I actually have three cards with a balance 2100/5000, 1000/4100, 1200/3500 and all of them recently just got a CLI of 1100,1200,1100 respectively. Plus they were all done with a soft pull. I've also never been late with any payments and run a good amount through each card paying more then double the minimum due. Hope that helps!

Message 3 of 6
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Guys - I appreciate it! Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
CCC333

From experience, it seems that Citi prefers you carry a balance over time and increases your CL if you do so. One time they even threw in an instant CLI offer combined with a low interest balance transfer offer. That's when I started using that card for medium-term debt

I sacrifice great rewards on my Forward card and now use that card for the 0% APR transfer offers I get pretty regularly so to consolidate balances I want to take my time paying.
Equifax FICO from Score Watch 747 (as of 8/30/13)

Main card: Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k
Supplement: Chase Freedom $20k
Gas/Groceries/Drugstores: AMEX Blue Cash (grandfathered old version) $12k
Less active: Citi Forward $18k and BofA Better Balance $16k

Sock drawer: Paypal Extras Mastercard $10k (Applied for it when I was too stupid to realize how much the benefits sucked but don't want to close it because it's one of my oldest)
Message 5 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Utilization is only calculated when the balance is reported the the Credit Reporting Agencies, usually (but not always) when the statement cuts.   So high balances before then won't impact utilization.   Now Citi, since it is their card, will know your spending, but I doubt if this will count against you.   Citi CLIs are a mystery to many of us, so it's hard to say if they are good or not.  Some report multiple auto-CLIs, others never get them (and this includes me).  If you request it, it might be soft or hard.

+1

I wish we knew what makes Citi give CLI's they seem to picky for approvals and CLI's 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.