Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Flat Credit Cards Trending ??

tag
Imua
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are Flat Credit Cards Trending ??

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Is there an extra cost in producing embossed cards? I suppose if there is one less step and/or machine involved in the "flat" cards, more issuers will likely trend to this style of card. Like you said, I have not seen an imprinter at any store in decades.

last week i ate at a local restaurant (kailua hawaii) that is very popular both with locals and with tourists (especially japanese tourists!).  the restaurant does not take discover or amex - only visa, MC and JCB.  they use an imprinter when they process cc's.  i was so surprised, since i hadn't seen an imprinter in years Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Yes it is a new trend. By the way; there are different card designs to choose from. I requested the pink card with the gerbera daisy on the front but they also have one with a cityscape on it...

You can order an extra card so that you have two cards which are activated. I like to keep a spare at home.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

@webhopper wrote:
Yes it is a new trend. By the way; there are different card designs to choose from. I requested the pink card with the gerbera daisy on the front but they also have one with a cityscape on it...

You can order an extra card so that you have two cards which are activated. I like to keep a spare at home.

Are you referring to the Discover More/It? Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Yes; I am referring to the discover it. It has 4 designs. more had tons of designs available
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Oohhhhhh....

I gotta see!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 22
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

I love the flat design myself. Looks so much better, especially when the card gets worn from normal use and the raised info started looking crappy. I did not know the IT had other designs. The mixtape one is interesting but I love the default look.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 16 of 22
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I wish the JPM Ritz would have the numbers on the back. It looks pretty good now, but it would look even better if that changed.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 17 of 22
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

There are a few others.
The rep I spoke with said it's like Chase's Slate card...
Also, she said the number being put on the back makes it much more secure...
Like people can't jack your cc info!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 18 of 22
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
There are a few others.

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
There are a few others.

Don't most numbers get stolen by a skimmer or database being hacked?

The first I ever saw it was the ING Direct debit card and I thought it was hideous. It feels fake to me and is just really unappealing. PNC sent a survery about the looks of their credit card and one of the questions was if you would rather have the information on the back and does it look elegant to you.

Message 19 of 22
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

The first I ever saw it was the ING Direct debit card and I thought it was hideous. It feels fake to me and is just really unappealing. PNC sent a survery about the looks of their credit card and one of the questions was if you would rather have the information on the back and does it look elegant to you.

Same here.  I have a largely inactive ING Electric Orange account and agree that their card was fugly.  Then again, its predecessor wasn't much better-- I found many cashiers had a hard time distinguishing the mag stripe from the curvy orange stripe on the old ING card and always tried to swipe the card the wrong way.  I have not seen what the new Capital One 360 cards look like.  I like the new color scheme so the card probably doesn't look half bad.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.