Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Subsequent Citi Cards Easier?

tag
McArthur
Regular Contributor

Are Subsequent Citi Cards Easier?

I know from experience and having read other posters tell of their app experience with Citi that they can decline an app for what seems like crazy reasons.  I've been declined many moons ago for no accounts with a balance, too many accounts with a balance, too few accounts and even too many accounts in my credit report.

Now that I have had  a Citi card for a few years, is it easier to get approved for subsequent cards or do I still have to make sure there is at least one account showing a balance and not more than three?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Are Subsequent Citi Cards Easier?

My parenst just have Sears Platinum MasterCard(backed by CITI), my mom applied for Diamond Preferred last year and was denied, so IDK

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 7
patternofstars7
Contributor

From my recent experience I've had no problem beince accepted for addional citi cards after establishing a relationship with them. I have had a plat select card for 2 years and this past month was approved a TY preferred and their AA card with no issues. Also the AA card was a signature card and gave me my highest limit. Just  a note was I kept receiving mailed pre-approved offers so decided to app. YMMV but just thought that this info might help you.

Message 3 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I think a second card with any lender would be easier to get, provided you treat the first card well, and don't have too much credit from them.
Message 4 of 7
zerobacan
Established Contributor

I remember I was declined for the 76/citi gas card first and the reasons were

could not verify identity

when I called back the asked me a couple questions and told me I was approved

then I got another letter saying denied because of a "non working home phone number"  I was WTH?  so i called them back an a supervisor apologized and told me i was approved. funny....

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 5 of 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

It's definitely a YMMV thing, but some people have reported being able to reallocate credit lines in order to take on a new credit card when you're at the max Citibank aggregate limit (based primarily on your income). So, the ideal strategy might be to go for a big Citi CLI on your existing card, then when you apply for a new one you would have that much more credit to allocate/split.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely say that it is.

Back in December, I applied for Sears and Home Depot cards. DENIED (for too many inquiries). This was on my EQ with over 36 inquiries.

I then applied for a Citi AA Signature card. Approved after verifiying my identity.

At the end of January I applied for the following:

Zales

Goodyear

Staples

Home Depot

Sears

I was approved for all of them.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.