cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Visa Signature cards similiar to AMEX no pre-set spending limits?

tag
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Are Visa Signature cards similiar to AMEX no pre-set spending limits?

I don't have a Visa Signature, but I'm planning to upgrade my platinum Bankamericard.

What are the benefits of Visa Signature?

Is there a hard limit?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Are Visa Signature cards similiar to AMEX no pre-set spending limits?

A  NPSL account does not  report a credit limit the bureau. They may report a high balance. There is no hard limit there is what is called iby some a shadow credit limit. This is the limit if you go it you will have pay enough in that month  to bring the account back under the shadow credit limit.. For example if your shadow credit limit is 5000 and your balance  on you statement is 5500. You would have to pay 500 + the min monthly payment in that month. Credit reporting wise I have two accounts my socre went down about 15 points when the first one started reporting as NPSL.  I have closed one of them and the other will be closed soon. In my opinion they do not help and are useless..

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Message 3 of 10
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Thanks for the informations Smiley Happy

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Alexander Dumas
Message 4 of 10
android01
Valued Contributor

I suppose that the benefits vs. the drawbacks are based on what's important to you.  I have a BOA signature Visa Card that dropped my TU credit score a full 22 points just by using it.  It's a 10K limit (not reported) and I charged $900 (9% util) which is reported as high balance.  TU apparently sees this as 100% utilization on this TL since there is no limit reported, which dropped my score like a stone even though my overall (for all TL) utlilization is 10%.  TU even gave me the  dreaded message about "making heavy use of revolving credit" as a negative to my score. 

Granted, none of this matters if you report a 0 balance.  If you are a score chaser (like most of us seem to be) Visa Signature cards aren't for you if you are ever going to carry a balance.  If you really don't care about having the highest scores and like the rewards and services the card offers, then go for it!  The only alternative I can see would be to charge up to your limit and hope that the high balance number sticks and is used in place of a limit.  

It seems as though this didn't have the same effect on EQ.....   

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 5 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@android01 wrote:

I suppose that the benefits vs. the drawbacks are based on what's important to you.  I have a BOA signature Visa Card that dropped my TU credit score a full 22 points just by using it.  It's a 10K limit (not reported) and I charged $900 (9% util) which is reported as high balance.  TU apparently sees this as 100% utilization on this TL since there is no limit reported, which dropped my score like a stone even though my overall (for all TL) utlilization is 10%.  TU even gave me the  dreaded message about "making heavy use of revolving credit" as a negative to my score. 

Granted, none of this matters if you report a 0 balance.  If you are a score chaser (like most of us seem to be) Visa Signature cards aren't for you if you are ever going to carry a balance.  If you really don't care about having the highest scores and like the rewards and services the card offers, then go for it!  The only alternative I can see would be to charge up to your limit and hope that the high balance number sticks and is used in place of a limit.  

To clarify this just a little, it only has an adverse reaction to score with TU98 which is what MYFICO uses. If the lender uses TU04 it has no adverse reaction as it is scored just like EQ. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 10
android01
Valued Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

@android01 wrote:

To clarify this just a little, it only has an adverse reaction to score with TU98 which is what MYFICO uses. If the lender uses TU04 it has no adverse reaction as it is scored just like EQ. 

That's really good to know!  My TU went from 755 to 733, which I thought was a bit drastic.   Let's hope MyFICO gets an upgrade to TU04 in the near future!

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 7 of 10
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@JM-AM wrote:

@android01 wrote:

That's really good to know!  My TU went from 755 to 733, which I thought was a bit drastic.   Let's hope MyFICO gets an upgrade to TU04 in the near future!

What is TU04?

I guess I won't upgrade now haha Smiley Happy

-Alexander Dumas
Message 8 of 10
android01
Valued Contributor

TU98 and TU04 are the software versions used to calculate TU Fico scores.  TU98 being the older version.  Think Windows 98 being upgraded to Windows XP. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 9 of 10
android01
Valued Contributor

This got me thinking.  I wonder if the CCC's will report the limit on a signature card if requested without switching to a different product?

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.