cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Zero Balances Interpreted as Non-Use?

tag
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

Re: Are Zero Balances Interpreted as Non-Use?

@marty56 wrote:
It has been stated that FICO will ding you if you allow a balance to report on a card that hasn't reported a balance in several months.
Thanks.  IInteresting, something new to worry about!  But I don't mind a temporary ding too much at this point.
IMHO the biggest treat with an account that isn;t being used is the CCC might close it and if you revolve balances, this could have a large impact on your FICO score.
This I'm not too concerned about.  The CCCs certainly know I'm using the cards actively, typically 15 transactions or so monthly on each  If they want to close the account just because I'm paying early, maybe I don't need that card.  Unless they're are all equally silly!  I know, could happen.  Anyway, I obviously don't carry a balance.

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Really you only need to worry about what is reporting to your credit reports for balances when you are getting ready to apply for mortgage or car, but seeing as you did that already and your scores are in the 800's I would not drive your self crazy trying to do this each month unless you just charge so much you would be at your limit each month.

I wouldn't say what I've been doing is driving me crazy, but if I switched to rotating a non-zero reported balance among cards, that would be a lot crazier.  Then you have to keep in mind which one is supposed to show the balance this month, and which one did the month before so you can be sure to pay it before the due date ...

Ya know, I never thought of it before, but the pay-before-statement approach does mean the CL is almost meaningless for the scoring, huh?  I don't charge anything like that much, but have always been pretty careful to stay below 5% or so of the limit.  But I guess that doesn't matter unless some eagle-eye looks at the "actual payment" reported.

Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Message 12 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Duke-of-Earl wrote:

...Ya know, I never thought of it before, but the pay-before-statement approach does mean the CL is almost meaningless for the scoring, huh?  I don't charge anything like that much, but have always been pretty careful to stay below 5% or so of the limit.  But I guess that doesn't matter unless some eagle-eye looks at the "actual payment" reported.

This is how people with two cards and a total $1000 CL can score in the 700's. It takes some scampering around, but it's definitely doable.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Duke,

A bit off topic. It might be my eyes and/or my monitor but that green you are using for some of the text is VERY hard for me to read. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

If it's just me I'll slink away quietly.  Smiley Sad

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 14 of 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

The lime green is impossible to read.

Message 15 of 21
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

Hi marine,

Sorry about that, I'll try some other color next time.  Seemed to be a good approach for replying to multiple quotes that I saw some other folks using, so I thought I'd try it, wanted some other color just to be different.  Looked OK on my display, but I know these things can vary.

Message 16 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I kind of liked the weird green shimmer. Sort of a radioactive effect. Smiley Very Happy

But it was tough for these 55-year-old eyes to read. As you say, it's probably due to different monitor settings.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 21
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

Apologies to those who couldn't read my green responses.  I've edited those posts to change the color.  Please let me know if it's still fubar.

Message 18 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The blue is great! --at least for me.

Message 19 of 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

The blue is great! --at least for me.

+1

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.