cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are any of these credit cards any good???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are any of these credit cards any good???

Here are some credit cards that claim no credit check, guaranteed approval, etc... Has anyone heard of these? what are the details? Hard pull or soft? Reports to CRA's? Please help with any details.

on top of those questions, hypothetically speaking, lets say that i have 2 or 3 of these, is that better regarding boosting our scores than having none?

Continental Finance

https://www.classicmastercard.com/classic/apply_step1.aspx?act=42241&sid=187&hid=295619119&cd=301663&c1=banner&c2=&c3=

Cash Yes Credit Card

https://www.cashyesapply.com/?hid=h77749298h&src=icomm&aid=40646&pid=399&msg=

Horizon Gold

http://www.horizoncardservices.com/?referID=CSOUP&cscust=8245H1&csaff=522

Blue Hippo - not a cc, but do they really report to the cra's????

http://www.bluehippo.com/default.asp

Access Visa

https://www.newvisacard.com/app_pg1.php

Premier Pledge

https://www.premierpledge.com/PersonalInfo.aspx?appid=ZK0808140624H2ME4#

Global Gold $7,500 LIMIT?????

https://www.globalgoldcreditoffer.com/ggc_012v2/index/?pageid=ggc001&pid=vom&subid=1739&subid2=5C45H1

I have just paid all negative non-medical items off of my credit report... waiting on the fico BOOST!

8/08 - EQ 480 EX 490 TU 521
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Are any of these credit cards any good???

Having two or three revolving accounts will definitely boost your credit score, however, I would not mess with any of those cards you listed.

These cards will approve you, with a $250 limit with $223 in fees. When you pay those down, they'll hit you with $9.99 a month maintenance fees.

If you are willing to drop (waste) that kind of money on those bottom feeders, why not open up a BOA secured card with a $300 deposit. This card will grow with you, and graduate to a prime card with 9-12 months positive history.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont know if the OP will be approved for a BOA Secured Platinum Visa Card with those scores.  And they do pull Experian.

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 08-14-2008 06:20 AM
Message 3 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Ah, good catch. My eyes appeared to have glazed over the FICO scores.

OP, unless you want to spend a lot of money buying those cards, I think it might be wise to repair before rebuilding.

Do you have any lates you can GW or invalid collections on your CRs you can dispute?
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 9
jaybird201
Established Contributor

I did research on all of those companies and most of those cards for work. They're predatory lenders and nothing but. They have several built-in mechanisms to get you to rack up hundreds upon hundreds of dollars in fees and having cards with these companies tends to leave people worse off than when they before (Trust me, it's possible).

I would definitely go for a secured card to get your score up. Rather than paying up to $300 in application, set-up and annual fees, you can put $300 down on a secured card with a low APR and in less than a year you can get an unsecured card and before you know it you'll be on your way to the primest of the prime!

The partially-secured BofA card is a good one, as is the Navy Federal secured card if you qualify for membership. From there you can get a Capital One card with credit-steps that will help you build credit and your credit limit will grow with you. Pay in full and pay on time and eventually you'll be in prime territory.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

first of all, Privacy Guard's score isn't a FICO score, huh? i just got my FICO score (EQ) and its 525, not 480. so, with that in mind, does anyone know where i can get my other 2 fico scores for free? i dont wanna pay an extra 32 bucks today if i dont have to lol yeah, as far as these cards, i've realized the same thing. I'm a member of VyStar Credit Union in Jacksonville, Florida. I was going to get a secured cc with them next week when i have some free time. my question is, will one secured cc be better than another one? maybe boa of my cu? of course, i've heard and read that cu members should do as much business with their credit union to build rapport... thoughts????
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaybird201 wrote:
I did research on all of those companies and most of those cards for work. They're predatory lenders and nothing but. They have several built-in mechanisms to get you to rack up hundreds upon hundreds of dollars in fees and having cards with these companies tends to leave people worse off than when they before (Trust me, it's possible).

I would definitely go for a secured card to get your score up. Rather than paying up to $300 in application, set-up and annual fees, you can put $300 down on a secured card with a low APR and in less than a year you can get an unsecured card and before you know it you'll be on your way to the primest of the prime!

The partially-secured BofA card is a good one, as is the Navy Federal secured card if you qualify for membership. From there you can get a Capital One card with credit-steps that will help you build credit and your credit limit will grow with you. Pay in full and pay on time and eventually you'll be in prime territory.

Great advice!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are already a member of a CU and can obtain a secured card through them, that would be a GREAT start.  I would do that ASAP. Let it build for 6 months or so and check your scores again.  At that point, you may be able to get BofA secured or partially secured (referred to the 99/500 around here because you put down $99 but you have an initial credit line of $500). 

If you can avoid any of those high fee, low CL, will not grow with you cards, do so at all costs. Unfortunately, there is no place to get your real fico scores for free. You would have to pay for them. If you google for Fico promo codes, you'll likely turn up a coupon for 20% off, but we aren't allowed to post them here on the forum.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are entitled to a free credit report from all three CRAs once a year.  Go on each of the website and you can get them online.  Then see where you stand.  www.equifax.com     www.transunion.com    www.experian.com
When you do the Trans Union report, scroll down and hit the FACT.  This way you get TU and not Tru Credit.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.