Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are backdated AMEX cards new accounts?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Are backdated AMEX cards new accounts?

Excluding the inquiry, are backdated AMEX cards considered "new accounts" according to FICO scoring? Do manual underwriters consider them new accounts?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Are backdated AMEX cards new accounts?

IMO they would not be considered "new" by FICO® scoring, since the date opened would be backdated to an older member since date. However a manual review could very likely identify them as being recently reported.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Hmmmm.....that is an excellent question !  I wish I could answer it for you, but I can't based on lack of that experience. It does make you wonder how the reporting would appear on a credit report (Unknown - OK - Current -  Pays as agreed) for each preceeding month.

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 3 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Not new. It's been my experience that no SW alert was triggered.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

When I reappliied for my Amex card, it did not show as a new cc account. However, the history from the old and new accounts do NOT merge. Therefore, on any manual review of your reports, your Newest Amex Card will only show history since the issue date. Your older account will show the respective history until reported closed.  The back dating helps your AAOA more than anything. AMEX also does not allow the re opening of an account with the prior issued account number. 

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Just checked my CR.

I had an Amex BSP opened in 2007, and I applied for a BCP in Feb 2012.  They closed my BSP (as I hadn't used it) and opened the BCP then.   Last month, I got it backdated to 1987.   Looking now at my EQ report, the BCP account shows the 81-month history as "*" = Paid or paying as agreed, so that's good. 

BUT, there is a Months Reviewed figure, and this shows 9, whereas my much older accounts show 99 so it's easy to see it is a recent account.

My closed BSP shows * up to Jan 2012, but shows only 5 months reviewed.  Don't understand that!

Message 6 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

@bs6054 wrote:

Just checked my CR.

I had an Amex BSP opened in 2007, and I applied for a BCP in Feb 2012.  They closed my BSP (as I hadn't used it) and opened the BCP then.   Last month, I got it backdated to 1987.   Looking now at my EQ report, the BCP account shows the 81-month history as "*" = Paid or paying as agreed, so that's good. 

BUT, there is a Months Reviewed figure, and this shows 9, whereas my much older accounts show 99 so it's easy to see it is a recent account.

My closed BSP shows * up to Jan 2012, but shows only 5 months reviewed.  Don't understand that!

I suspect this depends on the CRA. I assume you pulled Experian? 

Message 7 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

Just checked my CR.

I suspect this depends on the CRA. I assume you pulled Experian? 

No, "Looking now at my EQ report...."

Message 8 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

You're right. From my brief research, it seems that all CRA's reports contain the Months Reviewed field...

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.