cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are gains from cashback cards taxable in 2015?

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Are gains from cashback cards taxable in 2015?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

With the nature of our government, I don't blame you for wondering!

BUT... For personal credit cards, the IRS considers cash back rewards as a discount on a purchase price, and is not taxable as income.

Same with airline miles...  Miles earned from purchases are not income.  However, miles awards as a BONUS for opening an account are technically income.

If its a business card used for business purchases, consult your CPA.  Business taxes are crazy cans of worms.

Bottom line for personal cards... If you don't get a 1099, don't worry about it. Smiley Happy

Great post.  Actually this is how I've always thought of rewards recently.  I'm not getting 10% income by using my Discover It (double cashback) this month.  I'm getting a 10% discount on gas purchases.  When I was younger sometimes I bought stuff I shouldn't "chasing" rewards.  Now I view it as just getting a nice discount on a purchase and don't buy stuff I wouldn't normally buy to get a small reward

Bottom line you nailed it, great post. 

Exactly. I buy tons of stuff I normally wouldn't buy. Adding a small reward doesn't even factor into it at all!

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's more like a discount. Don't over think it
Message 12 of 15
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's more like a discount. Don't over think it

Yes, it currently acts like a discount for tax purposes... but checking that the situation hasn't changed is far from "over thinking it".

The current situation is the result of an administrative ruling by the IRS, and could be changed at any point...

If you want "over thinking" - check out the IRS responses to questions about the ruling, like this one: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/1027015.pdf

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 13 of 15
rlx01
Established Contributor

No.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the only time you will pay taxes related to a personal CC would be if it was charged off and you settled for less than the full amount. The difference would be taxed as income.

Thank goodness we don't have to pay for rewards! Otherwise, this site would have really complicated my taxes this year. Just off the top of my head I got over $1,000 in sign-up bonuses alone last year!
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.