cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are new cards easier to get approved for?

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Are new cards easier to get approved for?

Depends on the card, they still won't give me a Amex Black =\

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 11 of 15
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

It's good, but not as good as many make it out to be. I had one and wasn't all that impressed. It actually caused me as many problems as it solved.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditScholar wrote:
It's good, but not as good as many make it out to be. I had one and wasn't all that impressed. It actually caused me as many problems as it solved.

Can you elaborate?

Message 13 of 15
jeffery581
Established Contributor

RE:That made me come to the conclusion that Discover is pushing the IT card recently?

They may be pushing it to qualified applicants. 

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 14 of 15
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Can you elaborate?

Sure. I was an AU on my parents centurion some years ago, and it often caused a lot of hassles. Imagine the reactions people get with the CSP "Ooo this is really heavy, what is it?" Now multiply that by 1,000. This is especially true since unlike my parents, I like to enjoy a mostly "normal" life and therefore the places I frequent never see a card like that.

When I was 18 I was in my "rich people are evil and it's our obligation to help the world" phase, so I turned down several ivy league schools to attend a state university on a full scholarship. Most of my friends there struggled to pay their tuition, worked multiple jobs, etc. It was quite an eye-opening experience for me. I was confronted with things I'd never even considered before, and it greatly changed the way I thought about many things.

One time several of us went out for dinner. They were really short on cash since we'd all just purchased our textbooks, so I offered to pick up the tab. Not thinking, I pulled out my cent to pay for it. Some of my friends couldn't stop asking questions, while others didn't want to speak with me again because I was one of THOSE people, pitying the poor fools who couldn't afford dinner. I learned really quickly not to pull out that card again. I continued to get hassled to pay for stuff for the next several months, and eventually ended up having to find a new group of friends.

For me it didn't function all that differently to any other credit card, other than the reactions and subsequent treatment I received. Then again I didn't need have any complex issues or requests, so that might have been part of it as well.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.