cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are some Barclays cards easier to get than others?

tag
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Re: Are some Barclays cards easier to get than others?

I got 18.99 no 0% either.
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 11 of 19
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@CardHunter wrote:

I got approved for a Barclays rewards MC. with a myFico score of 622 / Barclay score of 611 with a credit line of $1,800 instant approved.. Yes, I feel VERY lucky. 

APR? How long is the prom of 0%?

On my Barclays reward  MC (my first card with them) I have 0% interest rate for 18months

Message 12 of 19
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Yes some are easier than others.  I have been denied for the Sallie Mae and UPromise over and over but got an instant aproval on the Rewards MC with new accounts and inquieries in the teens for a 2500 CL and the lowest available APR. 

Message 13 of 19
AkashV
Established Member

same here I was approved for the MC with $500 cl but was decline for apple visa. My score was 601 TU i belived.

Message 14 of 19
makin_no_cents
Valued Member

APR? How long is the prom of 0%?

On my Barclays reward  MC (my first card with them) I have 0% interest rate for 18months

Mine too (my second card with them) - according to acceptance letter my TU Fico was 719 at the time

Message 15 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

KennyRS wrote:
The Rewards card is what I'd recommend to anyone with fair/average/badish credit.

Arrival wouldn't be a recommendation to everyone, but to someone with 720+ credit, obviously the higher the better the odds for a best terms approval.

I think it also depends on how long it will take to improve the score, and their spending patterns.  So while it appears that Rewards is easier to get than Sallie Mae, getting the Rewards card might prevent you getting SM even when your scores are good enough (too many recent inquiries, too many cards from Barclays).   So if you are sort of close, might be worth trying SM first (providing the categories make sense to you).

The reality is that the additional 1% on a few categories (over a standard 1% card) isn't going to make a huge difference for average spenders.

Message 16 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think getting in with Barclay's is easy.

Now keeping them from AA you or CLD or acting a fool is the tougher part. They are sensitive to changes in credit reports.

in 2012, I got a Travelocity Amex with a 6500 CL...with a 676 TU FICO on recon. got a c li to 7700 7 months later. At one point they tried to cld me, but I called and was able to get my cl raised back to the 7700 pretty easily.

in March 2014 I got an instant approval for a 5K Arrival World MC(no af version) and then transferred over my 7700 Trav Amex to make it 12700. My TU FICO for Arrival approval was right at 720 (712 after their inq!)..

I have aaoa of 3+ years, hhi is mid six digits, and util was around 12%. inqs on tu was around 4 for arrival approval.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 19
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Well, that makes me feel better lol. I got 24 months 0% APR and 14.99% Purchase and BT when it expires. This was when my scores were in the 770s.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 18 of 19
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:
The Rewards card is what I'd recommend to anyone with fair/average/badish credit.

Arrival wouldn't be a recommendation to everyone, but to someone with 720+ credit, obviously the higher the better the odds for a best terms approval.

I think it also depends on how long it will take to improve the score, and their spending patterns.  So while it appears that Rewards is easier to get than Sallie Mae, getting the Rewards card might prevent you getting SM even when your scores are good enough (too many recent inquiries, too many cards from Barclays).   So if you are sort of close, might be worth trying SM first (providing the categories make sense to you).

The reality is that the additional 1% on a few categories (over a standard 1% card) isn't going to make a huge difference for average spenders.

Totally agree.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.