cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are student cards exclusively for students?

tag
pdxuser
Contributor

Are student cards exclusively for students?

Or are they just marketed to students? Because some have nice terms and attractive designs.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: Are student cards exclusively for students?

It depends.

Some issuers ask for proof, some trust your word.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What constitutes a "student"?  Attending a four year university? Grad school? Community college? Culinary Institute? What if you are only taking a class to keep up to date on design and drafting software?

Message 3 of 7
Miner
Frequent Contributor

A student is anyone enrolled in a college or university that can prove it with a valid registration.  That includes community college.  Read the fine print on any application to see what youn need to qualify.  I don't think a simple extension class would qualify.  But taking graduate courses at night after work to get a masters would qualify since your registration would be the same as a full time grad student who has never worked.

Be aware that student applications are typically for people with no or short credit histories, so if you have a long history, they may look twice at it.

Message Edited by Miner on 10-23-2008 10:57 AM
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 4 of 7
pdxuser
Contributor

Well, I have no history yet. Do student cards eventually evolve? I mean, students eventually graduate, so shouldn't the cards as well?
Message 5 of 7
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Wells Fargo didn't.  Stayed $750 CL til I closed it.  My student Discover eventually had a $12.2k CL and became a Platnium Discover (now would be a More Card) before I lost it in 2003.  I had 2 other VISAs from banks that grew nicey with me until I closed them years latter (one had $2500CL and the other $4500).

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a very short credit history (less than six months). The class I am taking is not an "extension" class it is a full course. I take them every few years to keep my skills up with the young pups. So.... that being said I think I might try applying for the Discover Student card.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.