cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the CC "backdoor" numbers real or fairytell?!?

tag

Are the CC "backdoor" numbers real or fairytell?!?

Not trying to be a smartass. I really want to know. This is the month I apply for 2 (possibly 3, but doubtful) credit cards so I can systematically close my other "toxic" cc's over time when their AF's become due. The CHASE FREEDOM (I have a chase checking account with direct deposit) works best for me in my lifestyle and the Capital One VentureOne (I have 3 CapOne cards). I really want to know. I have only one toxic account that drags down my score significantly which is a student loan showing multiple lates past 25 months (due to my negligence/stupidity getting a forbearance applied). But, it is now NINE months removed from my delinquency. UTI (after my cc's report balances after the 14th) when I apply in a few weeks, will be 7%. Estimated EQ (v5.0); TU ('98) anywhere from ~~HIGH690's----LOW730's. Any thoughts on me going into my local Chase Bank (with Income verification "pay stubs" $85K+ and printed FICO reports from here in my hand) and apply in their bank. Would that help getting approved for the CHASE FREEDOM? Thanks in advance. I really really really want both of these cards.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Are the CC "backdoor" numbers real or fairytell?!?

They'll still need to put your app through the normal channels.  The branch manager won't be able to approve you on the spot and they'll stil pull a credit report even though you have it in hand.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 11

Understood. But will it help for a "reconsideration" if I am denied (via the computer) by going to my local branch that I do business with? Thanks in advance.
Message 3 of 11
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@I_SUFFER_FROM_FICO_ENVY wrote:
Understood. But will it help for a "reconsideration" if I am denied (via the computer) by going to my local branch that I do business with? Thanks in advance.

Best case the manager can see if they can pull some strings.  I've heard rumors about being more favorable with $10K on deposit, but I've never seen the rumors substantiated.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

When you apply online your app is processed by a computer.  It has certain criteria it looks for, cut and dry.  When you recon to talk to a CSR.  A person that can look at your CR and can discuss with you anything they might find.  Better chances with a real person.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 11
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

When you apply online your app is processed by a computer.  It has certain criteria it looks for, cut and dry.  When you recon to talk to a CSR.  A person that can look at your CR and can discuss with you anything they might find.  Better chances with a real person.

yes, but at a branch the csr will put your data into a computer and get the same cut and dry answer as you would get online.  The only benefit is that you don't then have to pick up your phone to get a real person to request reconsideration.  They are not all instant decision either, you could just get told to expect a phone call in the next day or two with a decision.  If instantly denied, the branch csr might, however, pick up the phone and dial the credit approvals department for you before putting you on the phone to request a recon.  In summary, I don't think there is significant  benefit to applying at the branch.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Not trying to be a smartass. I really want to know. This is the month I apply for 2 (possibly 3, but doubtful) credit cards so I can systematically close my other "toxic" cc's over time when their AF's become due. The CHASE FREEDOM (I have a chase checking account with direct deposit) works best for me in my lifestyle and the Capital One VentureOne (I have 3 CapOne cards). I really want to know. I have only one toxic account that drags down my score significantly which is a student loan showing multiple lates past 25 months (due to my negligence/stupidity getting a forbearance applied). But, it is now NINE months removed from my delinquency. UTI (after my cc's report balances after the 14th) when I apply in a few weeks, will be 7%. Estimated EQ (v5.0); TU ('98) anywhere from ~~HIGH690's----LOW730's. Any thoughts on me going into my local Chase Bank (with Income verification "pay stubs" $85K+ and printed FICO reports from here in my hand) and apply in their bank. Would that help getting approved for the CHASE FREEDOM? Thanks in advance. I really really really want both of these cards.

Yes indeed the backdoor number DO work, YMMV if it gets you an approval but it does get you a recon attempt.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

You should try for a chase freedom you have a decent chance with those scores. The Venture card is highly unlikely, CapOne is very picky for there prime cards, they also don't allow more than 2 of there mastercards, not sure what the details are on your 3 CapOne cards, but its likely one is a store card and/or previous HSBC cards so allowed but counted towards your max of 2 cards, they will deny you for that reason alone. 

If you want another prime card beyond the chase freedom, look at AMEX you should be good for the ZYNC charge card, I think your baddies are too recent for them to look at a revolver still. Perhaps after 6 months to a year but at least being an AMEX member you will only get soft pulls for APs on the revolvers later. If you don't carry a balance the Zync is an awesome card with a Credit Limit that will grow with you verry rapidly. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 11

Are you saying once you are an AMEX customer, they only SOFT pull for future cards? Reason why I am asking, I am a USAA member. Since I've been with them since 1988 and I have checking/banking direct deposit, they KNOW what my annual income is. Plus, I presently have a car loan through them. I was thinking of applying for their USAA AMEX cash rewards card. If I was approved for that card and ONE year from now wanted to apply for EITHER the AMEX BLUE CASH or AMEX BLUE SKY, they will ONLY pull a soft pull from my credit report? Thanks in advance.
Message 9 of 11
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Are you saying once you are an AMEX customer, they only SOFT pull for future cards? Reason why I am asking, I am a USAA member. Since I've been with them since 1988 and I have checking/banking direct deposit, they KNOW what my annual income is. Plus, I presently have a car loan through them. I was thinking of applying for their USAA AMEX cash rewards card. If I was approved for that card and ONE year from now wanted to apply for EITHER the AMEX BLUE CASH or AMEX BLUE SKY, they will ONLY pull a soft pull from my credit report? Thanks in advance.

If you are a current AmEx cardholder, they will soft you to see if you qualify. If you are approved they will hard pull you, if you are declined it will remain a soft.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.