cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there CC companies that will give me a second chance?

tag
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are there CC companies that will give me a second chance?

@creditwatcher2012 wrote:
You could probably try either capital one, credit one, or first premier... Although you will get hit with crazy fees with credit one and first premier, it's a step in re-establishing your credit. First and foremost pull your credit report to see where you stand.. And try capital one, and if worst comes to worst stick with secured vs. the subprimes....

Good luck!

I would stay away from credit one or first premier!!!!! If you can't get a unsecured CC you may want to look at these. Also OpenSky does not do a credit pull

and they have a 25 day grace period on interest paid !!!

The OpenSky®  Secured Visa® Card Can Save You Money  
The below example is based on carrying a $325 balance for 12 months1.  

As of 5/20132 OpenSkyFirst ProgressU S BankCapital OneB O A 
Annual Percentage Rate17.50%14.99%20.99%22.90%20.24%
Application/Processing FeeNoneNoneNoneNoneNone
Monthly Service FeeNoneNoneNoneNoneNone
Interest $56.88$ 48.72$68.22$74.43$65.78 
Annual Fee$29.00$39.00$35.00$29.00$39.00
Interest & Fees Paid$85.88$87.72$103.22$103.43$104.78

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 11 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

What are your scores now and how old are those charge offs?

The safest bet right now for you is capitalone. If you had burned chase, Amex, citi, discover and BofA, chances are you are blacklisted for an indefinite amount of time. Chase, citi and Amex can blacklist you for up to several decades, though some people were able to get off the blacklist sooner than that as well, so YMMV. BofA and discover are more forgiving in general compared to chase/citi/Amex.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 17
Anonnamus

That was ten years ago, so the credit cards I had defaulted on are no longer reporting. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a way to determine what credit card accounts were opened by my parents. The current baddies I have are the recommended rebuilder cards like First Premier, Credit One, and Orchard Bank. I am currently waiting for my replies to PFD letters. I would like to app spree when the current baddies are settled, but don't want to apply for cards that I have no chance of being approved for because of a possible bad history with them. Is there a way to pull a credit report that shows all my bad debt previous to the last seven years?
Message 13 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

There is no way to have the CRAs tell you what accounts you had before if they had fallen off your CR. best way to do this is to talk to your parents.

If you are unsure and want to play it absolutely safe, avoid chase, citi and American Express.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 17
xcallmeclayx
New Contributor

Although I was not in as bad of a spot as you are (sorry to hear about your parents gambling addiction Smiley Sad ) I was an idiot coming out of high school and had two beginner credit cards and maxed them out and ignored them. They came back to haunt me in the forms of Collection Agencies and just completly screwing up my credit! I've only been really working on my credit for around a year now and I think my signature can give you a good idea of what this board can do for you if you stick around, read and listen to other peoples opinions and experiences. With that, this is MY opinion on what I would do if I were you.

1. Get a Capital One Secured Mastercard. This was the only place that would approve me at my worst. I had to pay $49 but had a credit limit of $200. The thing that I like about them is that with the secured card you get free access to My Credit Inform. My credit inform is basically a FACKO score but still allows you to see your report and monitor your credit report for free. This helped me see what was still reporting as baddies and gave me ground to move forward.

2. I would stick around this community. I can tell you how many times I was confused with credit and these forums helped me out. This is a great community with alot of amazing people who love helping. I would also urge you to consider you to get your FICO score from this site so you know your real score and with score watch it alerts you with changes....I love seeing those changes lol

3. Use your secured card responsibly. I would hold onto it, use it alot but pay it off before the statement. The limit might be $200 so the utilization is going to be a toughy. They might give you a CLI after a few months depending on how well you manage it. Manage this correctly for about 6 months (maybe 4, others might be able to chime in on how long to wait) then apply for either a Walmart card or if you like another capital one UNSECURED card. I say walmart because from what Ive seen its pretty simple to get and the CLI's are nice and fast. Oh and they give you your TU FICO!!

Starting Score 5/10/2012: EQ: 631 EX: 570 TU: 583
Current Score: EQ: 710 (MyFico) EX: 740 (CreditInform) TU: 709 (WalMart)
NEW Goal Score: 750 All Across 1st Goal: Achieved 6/7/2013 690 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 17
xcallmeclayx
New Contributor

I forgot to add that I had Credit One and they were VERY generous to me. If the PFD letters dont work, I would email the EO.

Starting Score 5/10/2012: EQ: 631 EX: 570 TU: 583
Current Score: EQ: 710 (MyFico) EX: 740 (CreditInform) TU: 709 (WalMart)
NEW Goal Score: 750 All Across 1st Goal: Achieved 6/7/2013 690 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 17
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

Do you have anyone who has a credit card that they've had for years, has a decent limit and doesn't keep that high of a balance on it? Have them put you on as an authorized user so it reports on your credit. One it appears on, you'll be on the right track..

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.