cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are two credit cards "enough"?

tag
KilliNate

Are two credit cards "enough"?

I currently have a Capital One CC/800 CL and a Kohls CC/500 CL. After Christmas, I will request a CLI on my Kohls store card; I'm pretty confident I'll get it as I've had the account for two years without incident and without requesting one yet. My question is, are these two cards adequate for building credit, or should I try to get another one? I was thinking of either a gas card or a Wal-Mart card seeing as how I do regular visits there for small/minor items.

Any advice on the best move? Should I add a card or just stick with the two I have?

TU - 653 (as of 1/6/14)
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Re: Are two credit cards "enough"?

Two cards is plenty to start building. If you just hold on to those and don't go crazy applying you should be able to get better cards then Walmart. Give it a year or so and then you can think about cards like the Chase Freedom, Discover it, maybe even an Amex. It's more about how you handle your tradelines then having a ton of them. Keep your utilization in check and don't do any HP unless you really need it.

Message 2 of 26
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Two are plenty. If you have a use for a Walmart card there are benefits such as TU credit score and zero financing offers from time to time. I wouldn't apply until you ask and have your CLI reporting giving you a chance for the Walmart Discover.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Yes two is enough, the other question that pops into my head, depending on your income and spending habbits, is  $800 on a major credit card enough to cover your monthly spending. If you are constantly fighting keeping the card paid off, after 6 months from your last new TL it may be time to add a second  major card, depending on baddies, and your income and if you score is north of 650 or not, you may want to think about getting an AMEX charge card. Its a quick way to speed up your repair, 6 months prior history, and 6 months with the charge card with no major baddies you can think about Chase freedom or Discover IT.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 26
Smug
Established Contributor

When I was rebuilding I had 30 cards now Down to 11.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 5 of 26
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Got 16 right now. Looking to combine and close some.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 6 of 26
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I had 1 card for a year (2012) and in 2013 have applied for all the cards in my signature. So unless there are baddies on your credit reports that you haven't mentioned, I would say you should already be set to apply for a few good cash back cards.

Discover IT, and Sallie Mae Rewards Mastercard are fairly easy to qualify for. Chase Freedom has a good $200 bonus offer right now. Etc.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 26
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Honestly I would say get more than two cards. Get cards that you need but having more will help you get better cards in the future. Think like an underwriter would you rather approve someone who has used two cards or 4 or 5 cards correctly of course. Credit is about building relationships too you can start with a cap one plantuim card but you could end up getting a much better chance of approval with a venture card down the road.
AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 8 of 26
KilliNate

Yeah, I don't use my credit cards much. Currently (just checked credit karma) my utilization is 16%. I rarely use the kohls card and, when I do, it's small/minor items. There's only been a few times where I went "big" on my capital one card - big for me is over 30% in a given month. Still, I pay off both balances before the end of the month.

I thank everyone for their input. I actually went ahead and applied - and received - a Walmart card (700 CL) and an Amazon card (900 CL) last night before receiving any responses. For me, that's enough. I'm not big on credit cards and use them chiefly for the goal of building credit so I don't need anymore. I'll sit on these cards for years and let them accrue credit history, using 3 of the 4 (Amazon/Walmart/Kohls, around 0-10%) sparingly and my Capital One a bit more frequently (10-20%). Smiley Happy

TU - 653 (as of 1/6/14)
Message 9 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Smug wrote:
When I was rebuilding I had 30 cards now Down to 11.

You were something of an outlier Smug Smiley Happy

@OP: Two is indeed "enough" FICO-wise but from the underwriting perspective someone mentioned, you want to thicken your file to I would recommend 4 tradelines, but personally I wouldn't rush out to go do it.  I'm not a big fan of junk tradelines, I don't think they show the underwriter what the consumer wants them to see frankly.

How long ago did you get your two current cards?  It's a big difference in what you may want to do if you're talking 1 month, vs 5 months ago, vs 10 months ago.

Also when we're talking pure FICO building, take a look in to something like a secured installment loan from a CU or similar, something like:

https://www.dcu.org/loans/credit-builder.html

It's a cheap way to put an installment tradeline on your report and unlike some random store or gas card, isn't a junk tradeline while still building additional payment history.

        
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.