cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you closing any accounts in 2015?

tag
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: Are you closing any accounts in 2015?

Definitely closing:

Target – the credit limit sucks!  I have a prepaid Redcard to replace it, so I’ll still get my 5% discount.

Walmart – no rewards, so I never use it.  There are no Walmart gas stations here either.

Lord & Taylor – no rewards; I do not use it often.

Consider closing:

USAA – I rarely use it.  This card is best used for cashback.  I get better cash back or points on other cards.  The cash back can only be used for a statement credit and since I rarely use the card, it’s hard to redeem my cashback.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 11 of 106
Josh2942
Established Contributor

I actually think the CAP annual fee is worth it. With the 2% on dining and travel with 5% on the freedom and combine them. But to each its own
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 12 of 106
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Josh2942 wrote:
I would have applied for the diners but there was no sign up bonus to justify the 95 fee like the csp

I think DC is most similar to spg in terms of no bonus categories, and huge array of airline partners. I agree no signup bonus is pretty meh to me. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 106
msbia
Established Contributor

Cap1, Walmart, Amex PRG, USAA Amex and probably Home Depot. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 14 of 106
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

DH closed his Macy's (2009) and our joint Bloomingdales card (2014).

FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 15 of 106
Kellan
Regular Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Amex BCE for sure, probably also Chase Freedom.

They don't do anything my other cards can't do as well or better and although I have very few cards compared to a lot of people here (6), I'm uncomfortable with both the number of cards and the amount of overall credit I have for somebody with a modest income and modest credit use.

I'm also afraid my Costco TE might go away this year if Costco and Amex break up, but if that happens I'll be very sorry because I really like that card and it has a good CL.

It is such a smart decision that you know your own limit and don't need as many cards as everyone else.

I am guessing your Costco card will convert to an standard Amex card. Like the BCE card

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 16 of 106
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@baller4life wrote:

Well by the time I close it I will have multiple cards over $25k. So I won't miss it. And with a 13% apr, I'm not too inclined to carry a balance on it anyways. So why would I keep a $95 af card? Naw, I had hoped I could use it as a prybar once I got it in the $30k+ range. But, the fact that it seems that it won't report at all, defeats that purpose.

Ya forgot about the AF...  

Message 17 of 106
Kellan
Regular Contributor

For me I am debating about closing my CapOne card. It is one of my oldest cards and it has no annual fee. I charge netflix on it monthly and PIF. Its not harming anything so I am not sure. 

My Target and Amazon cards. These cards are convient but I care about travel rewards. I would rather have frequent flyer miles even if they are not the same value as the 5% cash back. And Amazon only gives me time to pay without intrest. I always PIF.

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 18 of 106
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Freedom after I transfer the limit to Sapphire. If approved for Ink in May transfer Sapphires limit to it (which I was told through SM was fine but maybe not from what Ive read here lately) and close. Although once this 6th statement closes with Freedom on the 8th I may transfer the limit and close it earlier than planned. Really have no use for it at this point

HF,

I will admit Freedom is not the most useful card sometimes, but on the occasions when it is useful, I earn 5x UR points.  It’s a nice compliment to my CSP.  Are you sure you want to see it gone?

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 19 of 106
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Kellan, thank you for the vote of confidence. It's easy around here to pick up on the more-more-more mentality, which is great for many but not for some of us.

I agree that if Costco and Amex break up the TE would likely get converted to something else (would be ironic if it were the BCE). The TE is such a great card for me, though. I'd really miss it.

Message 20 of 106
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.