Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Armed Forces Bank Secured CC

tag
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

Armed Forces Bank Secured CC

Im curious to see if anyone here has a secured cc with Armed Forces Bank? Im looking at them to add a second credit card. It says online that you can add to your initial CL anytime you want by adding funds. Also it has a low apr if you have a checking account. your secured deposit is put into a savings account that draws interest.
07/14/20:-TransUnion: 528 / Equifax: 521, / Experian: 666
Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
apandabear
Regular Contributor

Re: Armed Forces Bank Secured CC

Haven't heard of the product. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give you some guidance!

I have secured CCs with USAA. 

You deposit money into a CD that earns interest (current I think is 0.74%). You can deposit money at any time by making an additional deposit. The APR is 9.9% (which seems super low for us folks with iffy credit). Seems to have the same benefits as the card you're looking for. And USAA is pretty awesome in general. I also bank with them and use the Credit Check Monitoring Premuim which lets you pull all 3 reports daily for $12/month.

Good luck in your search for a new card!

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 2 of 10
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

Thanks apandabear. I have a account with Usaa but it wont allow me to apply for their secured card :/. Says not available at this time. The apr for Armed Forces Secured card is the same 9 % if you have a checking account with them. Other wise it goes up to 20 something % . The deposit goes into a cd as well.

Anyone can apply for a secured card with them. I just wanted to see if anyone has had any expierences, good or bad using them.
Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 3 of 10
apandabear
Regular Contributor

Are you military or related to someone who's a member of USAA? You might just need to upgrade your membership to a full membership (secured cards aren't available to partial members.. And I don't know the requirements to join Armed Forces Bank). I'd give USAA a call. Their CSRs are really nice and helpful. You can usually get a human being on the phone in a minute or less.

I'm not trying to steer you one way or another. I do hope you find the answers you're looking for! Just sharing my experience with you! Smiley Happy

Plus, USAA car insurance is top-rate. If you qualify for it, no reason to not be a full member and enjoy all the perks.

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 4 of 10
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

Im a partial member at Usaa. Thats probaly why I cant apply for their secured card. Armed Forces Bank is open to everyone.
Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 5 of 10
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

Just updating on this.  I applied for a checking account with them so I can get the lower apr on their secured card.   I am going to apply for their secured card.  Just wanted to list the details on it for anyone that might be interested.  The thing I am most interested in about this secured card is the ability to add future CLI by added more money, the lower APR and the low AF.

• Credit line from $200 up to $5,000
  • No over-the-limit fee
  • $12 annual fee, no application fee
  • Ability to increase credit limit by adding funds to savings account
  • Great low rate of 9.90% APR for Armed Forces Bank customers (20.90% APR for non-customers) *
  • Accepted at any merchant that accepts VISA
  • Card must be secured by a savings account
  • $50 minimum increase increments with $5 fee for each $50 increment increase
  • $2 quarterly fee charged to the Credit Builder Savings if not enrolled in e.Statement
Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 6 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Dunno, I don't particularly care for that secured card.

@MaryJane197 wrote:

Just updating on this.  I applied for a checking account with them so I can get the lower apr on their secured card.   I am going to apply for their secured card.  Just wanted to list the details on it for anyone that might be interested.  The thing I am most interested in about this secured card is the ability to add future CLI by added more money, the lower APR and the low AF.

• Credit line from $200 up to $5,000
  • No over-the-limit fee
  • $12 annual fee, no application fee
  • Ability to increase credit limit by adding funds to savings account
  • Great low rate of 9.90% APR for Armed Forces Bank customers (20.90% APR for non-customers) *
  • Accepted at any merchant that accepts VISA
  • Card must be secured by a savings account
  • $50 minimum increase increments with $5 fee for each $50 increment increase
  • $2 quarterly fee charged to the Credit Builder Savings if not enrolled in e.Statement

Ugly.  Cap One > that card really, and if you don't plan to increase your balance over time, either BOFA (rewards) or DCU (no AF, free FICO) smash that card.

        
Message 7 of 10
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info Revelate.  Yes I dont like the increase fees either.  Thats why I plan to only add 500 up front and leave it at that.  But BOFA is only accepting applications from people who currently bank with them.  Ive never heard of DCU.  I will have to google that card.  

Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 8 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@MaryJane197 wrote:

Thanks for the info Revelate.  Yes I dont like the increase fees either.  Thats why I plan to only add 500 up front and leave it at that.  But BOFA is only accepting applications from people who currently bank with them.  Ive never heard of DCU.  I will have to google that card.  

Really?  When did that change re: BOFA?  Also by definition, if you get a secured card with BOFA, don't you bank with them since they will keep a deposit of yours on record? Smiley Wink.  You're the only one I've heard report that, and their website is still fully offering the secured card when I clicked through their interface on a machine which never has logged into the BOFA's web interface... I guess I'm somewhat disbelieving as it wouldn't make sense at all from a business decision.

Digital Credit Union (sometimes referred Digital Federal Credit Union).  They fixed their atrocious web interface and I sort of like their new one, close to USAA's in functionality at least, and there's no fees to ACH money into the CU share account.  That and I just made a payment from one of their checking accounts and it credited instantly in their interface.  It's a no-frills card that isn't much beyond the tradeline, 0 AF, and FICO score, but it's better than that Armed Forces one which unless you really want something from that CU in the future, I suspect is well down the pantheon of secured products.

I wonder if we could get a secured card ranking stickied here or in the rebuilding forum.

        
Message 9 of 10
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

Revelate your right it wasnt BOA I was thinking of. There was one that required you to already have a checking account with them. I dont remember who it us now. It would be great if we had a up to date list on secured CC's. I havent applied for anymore secured cc's since i got my Capital One. Im just looking to add two more so im checking all my options. The main thing im looking for is that I will be able to add to the CL later on if i want. I havent yet but im going to check out DCH. I cant switch banks to a CU yet because I have some telechex stuff i have to get cleared up first. Stuff i filed BK on that is still on telechex.
Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.