cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As Far as cashback is Quicksilver now Better than Chase Freedom and Discover?

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: As Far as cashback is Quicksilver now Better than Chase Freedom and Discover?

@CS800 wrote:

@john398 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
I believe the value of the UR makes Chase superior

Hmmm is that with the regular Freedom as well?

My Freedom had the UR. It was a regular freedom

I guess it depends if you want the cash or gift cards right?

Message 11 of 18
CMoney91
Valued Member

Re: As Far as cashback is Quicksilver now Better than Chase Freedom and Discover?

Have your cake and eat it too. The two cards complement each other very well with QS making a perfect catch all card for anything not falling in the Discover it, Freedom, and any other bonus categories you might have with other cards.

Capital One really is pretty awesome about redeeming rewards in that rewards add up as soon as the transaction posts and can be redeemed anytime. Plus it's nice to have at least one card that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. I'm pretty high on the QS card (someone here has to advocate for Cap One), but the thing does look fake.
Sallie Mae BarclayCard - $3000 (6 Months) | Chase Freedom - $3500 (6 Months)
Capital One Quicksilver - $6000 (9 Months) | Bank of America Better Balance - $5000 (9 Months)
Rooms to Go GECapital - $6600 (9 Months) | Discover IT - $4300 (2+ Years)
Subprime Accounts: 1FBUSA - $5500 (4+ Years) | Capital One Platinum MC - $1250 (4+ Years)
Message 12 of 18
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@trying_to_B_good wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
I believe the value of the UR makes Chase superior

ok lexie school me....what in the world is URSmiley Very Happy

Not Lexie, but UR is ultimate rewards, the points you get with the Freedom.  If you have a "transfer" card, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, you can transfer your Freedom points to that card, and then onto hotel/airline programs, where the points can be worth many times more.

But, many people don't have the cards, or, if they do,don't bother to transfer.  URs are only better if you do transfer to hotels and airlines.

Is it just the freedom you can transfer to the csp.  What about the Marriot Rewards Card.?

Message 13 of 18
noobody
Established Contributor

if you make $70,000 on non-category charge

you would get 70,000 UR points to be redeem for $700 cash which is good

some time you can use the point to get 20% off gift card or 50%? crazy sale at best buy 2 xmas ago which is lucky

you would get $1050 cash back from cap1 which is nice

but if you have CSP or ink card, you can redeem for 70k UA miles, can get you a FIRST class tickets to ASIA, which cost  about $5000-$8000, which is unbelieveable deal.

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 14 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@noobody wrote:

some time you can use the point to get 20% off gift card or 50%? crazy sale at best buy 2 xmas ago which is lucky

but if you have CSP or ink card, you can redeem for 70k UA miles, can get you a FIRST class tickets to ASIA, which cost  about $5000-$8000, which is unbelieveable deal.

Yes, although there is a lot of discussion about how to value this.    Now if you often buy 1st class tickets to Asia, and just happen to use 70K UR points for one of them, then yes, that is say a $7K value.   But many on here would never in fact pay that for a seat (and so wouldn't travel 1st class), so for them the "real" value is less.

Message 15 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

Don't discount that fact that the CSP charges a pretty hefty annual fee. It takes some level of spending for the extra value of the points to offset the annual fee.

Message 16 of 18
noobody
Established Contributor

yes everybody has different situtation,if you do not travel, QS is better deal

and if you are creative you can buy UA miles at 2.1c/mile (legit), so 70,000 mile only cost $1420

@longtimelurker wrote:

@noobody wrote:

Yes, although there is a lot of discussion about how to value this.    Now if you often buy 1st class tickets to Asia, and just happen to use 70K UR points for one of them, then yes, that is say a $7K value.   But many on here would never in fact pay that for a seat (and so wouldn't travel 1st class), so for them the "real" value is less.

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 17 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

Thanks All, I travel but just domestocally and I like Southwest

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.