tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ask A Back Office CC Company Employee ANYTHING

@Strogen wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How many inquires are too many?

Depends on a lot of stuff, including, but not limited to: if the card has lax UW designed for people with not so good credit vs cards for excellent credit, the bank's personal appetite for risks, unsecured vs secured card, if they are inquiry sensitive, whether they combine inquiries if you shop for auto/home loan within a short period, if the CC pulls IDA/ARS/ICS/Sagestream, etc. Without knowing all the details, I can't give you an answer. But the rule of thumb is anything over 10 in a year with one CRA is way too many. 

Funny thing about inquiries, I have over 40 on EQ, but still regularly get CLI's, CC pre quals in mail and Chase gives out new cards like candy. 4 cards from Chase in the last 4 months! All instant approvals. I did pay Chase some $2400 in interest when I was carrying a balance on my Freedom from 2011-2014 though....

Any reason why CC companies overlook these inquiries like Chase does? But Citi and most other issuers hold them against me?

I was approved for Citibank with high number of inquires.

Message 391 of 421
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do SP actions affect your internal score? For example getting declined a card from AMEX when you are already a member, or requesting a CLI from CCC's that do SP for that. Will a record of this be kept? Or can you just for fun request CLI 5x/day with no effect?

This thread has been amazingly helpful, thanks!

Message 392 of 421
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope this has not been asked already... Can you see if a credit card is secured on someone's credit report(s)?
Message 393 of 421
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I hope this has not been asked already... Can you see if a credit card is secured on someone's credit report(s)?

Fico score, no.  If the bank reports secured (like my credit union did), then yes, it says secured card.  Some banks don't report secured.  However, that secured card and a rebuilder was all that was showing when I got my Amex, first big boy limit.  They didn't seem to care.  I personally think secured cards are better than store cards.

Signature needs updating
Message 394 of 421
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Question re NPSL (Flex spend) Visas/ MCs.

I have a MC (25k) and Visa(18k) flex-spend as well as an Amex charge card. I always pif but put large charges on the Amex. In some cases, typically once a year or so,  those charges were more than all my revolving CLs together. Anecdotally, flex-spend cards don't get approved for spend that much over their CLs. I would really like to be able to use non-Amex cards for those charges but have been reluctant to do so since I don't want to mess with a decline then use the Amex.

Amex has a "Check your spending level" at their web site which I've used when I had a sudden need to charge more than 2 or 3 times more than I had ever used it previously so I knew the charges would go through before I made the purchase. I've since made the occasional >50k charge without checking Amex. Never had any issue with them and their spend level service seemed to be perfect for my comfort.

Is there any way to check this on Visa or MC NPSL cards? Perhaps by calling in? Do issuers typically allow the kind of large purchases that Amex allows?

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 395 of 421
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Why do major CCCs take a dim view of store cards?  I understand that many are fairly easy to obtain, but there are other benefits. 

The rewards I receive from Loft and, especially, VS far exceed anything I would get from Amex/Visa/MC/Discover.  I receive hundreds of dollars in rewards cards from VS and an impressive amount of discount coupons from Loft.  Keeping these cards is prudent fiscal management.

Because of their ease of approval I could understand why they wouldn't be consider on par with major CCs but I'm having difficulty understanding why they are, in general, viewed as a negative. To me, it seems a rather arbitrary assessment.

Message 396 of 421
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

Why do major CCCs take a dim view of store cards?  I understand that many are fairly easy to obtain, but there are other benefits. 

The rewards I receive from Loft and, especially, VS far exceed anything I would get from Amex/Visa/MC/Discover.  I receive hundreds of dollars in rewards cards from VS and an impressive amount of discount coupons from Loft.  Keeping these cards is prudent fiscal management.

Because of their ease of approval I could understand why they wouldn't be consider on par with major CCs but I'm having difficulty understanding why they are, in general, viewed as a negative. To me, it seems a rather arbitrary assessment.

I think you said it yourself: They're very easy to get so they don't carry as much weight. Sure, you (as the user) get befefits from using store cards, but the bank obviously doesn't get benefits from you having them, and they're easy to be approved for. Also, the damage you can do with a store card is rather limited to the damage you can do with a general purpose (AMEX/Discover/MC/Visa) card, since you can use those cards almost everywhere, and therefore, can (if you so choose) rack up large balances much more easily (more opportunities to overextend yourself). In general, general purpose credit cards have significantly higher credit limits, so yet again, more opportunities to overextend yourself. You have to show a fair amount of self control with anything credit related, but general purpose cards require more self-control than store cards given the higher limits and the fact they can be used everywhere.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 397 of 421
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

I think you said it yourself: They're very easy to get so they don't carry as much weight. Sure, you (as the user) get befefits from using store cards, but the bank obviously doesn't get benefits from you having them, and they're easy to be approved for. Also, the damage you can do with a store card is rather limited to the damage you can do with a general purpose (AMEX/Discover/MC/Visa) card, since you can use those cards almost everywhere, and therefore, can (if you so choose) rack up large balances much more easily (more opportunities to overextend yourself). In general, general purpose credit cards have significantly higher credit limits, so yet again, more opportunities to overextend yourself. You have to show a fair amount of self control with anything credit related, but general purpose cards require more self-control than store cards given the higher limits and the fact they can be used everywhere.

I can except them not being weighed as heavily as major CCs because of their ease of obtainability, although even that varies.  My Comenity cards started out fairly low, but all are (within 2yrs or less) in the four figure range.  I could probably push the J. Crew to 5 figs., but that is the card I use the least.

My point is I don't like the simplistic approach to ranking store cards.  If a person has 10 store cards at $250 - $500, I see why that isn't favorable, but that's not the same as someone who has a few with much higher limits.  Holding 3 Comenity cards  has not hindered my ability to obtain good cards, so I'm not speaking from personal negative experience. I'm merely responding to other posts I have read, including some on this thread.

Message 398 of 421
score_building
Senior Contributor

A few store cards isn't necessarily an issue. A high percentage of store cards vs majors, is not a good look. This is not new info though OP has confirmed it from their vantage point, already asked and aswered.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 399 of 421
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

If someone wanted to close/consolidate credit cards from multiple banks, how long should they wait between closing them to prevent the closures from being seen as a negative?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 400 of 421
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.