cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask for a credit line increase first or apply for another credit card first?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask for a credit line increase first or apply for another credit card first?

It looks like my credit card co. is interested in increasing my CL. But they don't know what a hard pull and soft pull credit check is! Sow I'm assume it will be a hard pull. Assuming this I'm considering applying for an increase in over draft protection at the same time.

I all sow won't to apply for another credit card soon threw another institution. Assuming it will be a hard pull on the above what should I apply for first? Should I even bother with the over draft protection?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Ask for a credit line increase first or apply for another credit card first?

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like my credit card co. is interested in increasing my CL. But they don't know what a hard pull and soft pull credit check is! Sow I'm assume it will be a hard pull. Assuming this I'm considering applying for an increase in over draft protection at the same time.

I all sow won't to apply for another credit card soon threw another institution. Assuming it will be a hard pull on the above what should I apply for first? Should I even bother with the over draft protection?

what bank is your credit card and we can probably tell you if it's hard or soft.

what bank do you want to apply to, they might pull a different credit report and not even see the other pull

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ask for a credit line increase first or apply for another credit card first?

Which bank do hard pull? I just requested to increase CL from Chase, AMAX and Bank of America. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

In terms of your FICO score, applying for a new and getting a new CC will ding your more.  In terms of AA, you could actualy hurt your self by asking for a CLI with Chase and BofA, especially if you have high util.  Thse days it's not a smart idea to ask for C:Is from banks like Chase and BofA. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

In terms of your FICO score, applying for a new and getting a new CC will ding your more.  In terms of AA, you could actualy hurt your self by asking for a CLI with Chase and BofA, especially if you have high util.  Thse days it's not a smart idea to ask for C:Is from banks like Chase and BofA. 

+1 On most recent request boa CLD both cc (uti 11%) and chase HP and denied increase Smiley Indifferent YMMV.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Which bank do hard pull? I just requested to increase CL from Chase, AMAX and Bank of America. Smiley Sad

Chase is always hard, Amex and BofA soft EX

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.