Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asked Capital-one to wave the annual fee

tag
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

Asked Capital-one to wave the annual fee

He said to pay the fee when it is due and call them in 1 or 2 days later to see if they can wave the fee . 

I said yea right Ill just pay it and then see if you will take the fee off later.  I told him that's not right I know if I pay now you wont take the fee off later.

He told me if I pay the fee and decide to close my account within 30 days of paying this fee they will give my annual fee payment back.

Im sure someone has been through this before. Is this the way it works? I guess my fee is due September 10th and I will have a 0 balance next week. Call.

I will close it if they don't wave the fee but now I have to wait until September unless someone knows something different.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Datx
Valued Contributor

Re: Asked Capital-one to wave the annual fee

Yes. If you do close the account within 30 days of your AF, they will refund you that AF. Read your CC agreement, it should be in there too.  I heard a few times where Cap One will ask you to call back AFTER you get hit with an AF to see if they can waive or refund it. That seems to be the routine for them.

Message 2 of 5
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Hey all. Last re up time, I called for two things, 1) a cli, and 2) a pc to a product with no af or a waiver of the af. I was instructed to pay the af and a credit would be issued next billing cycle. They were true to their word, a credit was placed on my statement for the af, however no cli.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 5
7ate9
Valued Member

@ShiningDown wrote:

He said to pay the fee when it is due and call them in 1 or 2 days later to see if they can wave the fee . 

I said yea right Ill just pay it and then see if you will take the fee off later.  I told him that's not right I know if I pay now you wont take the fee off later.

He told me if I pay the fee and decide to close my account within 30 days of paying this fee they will give my annual fee payment back.

Im sure someone has been through this before. Is this the way it works? I guess my fee is due September 10th and I will have a 0 balance next week. Call.

I will close it if they don't wave the fee but now I have to wait until September unless someone knows something different.

They actually are good about waiving the AF if your account is in good standing.  I was charged mine in May, I called a few days later and they applied a credit for that amount.  They just don't do it before it is actually charged.

TU08 740(1/20/16)

Last app: 06/19/2015
Message 4 of 5
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

They offered to waive mine.  I closed anyway.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.