cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asked chase about switching freedom from Visa to MC...

tag
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

Asked chase about switching freedom from Visa to MC...

My account has only been open for aprx. 1 month. 

I sent a secure message asking about switching from Visa to MC, and got a response that it would have to be escilated, then never heard anything back... 

I gave the reason that my Son's school lunch program only uses MC, and would like to use my Freedom card for that. 

Figured I'd get the wait 1 year that other have got. 

It's been a couple weeks, kind of forgot about it, even though I haven't heard anything, I log into my account today, and notice where it shows your card, I notice a second card with a different last four numbers underneath, showing the same info/transactions/etc. as the one above that has the last four digits of the one I have in my possession. 

Even the rewards site shows two cards now... I wonder if I'll be getting a Freedom MC in the mail soon...

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Asked chase about switching freedom from Visa to MC...

Sure sounds like it to me

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

Yup, I bet they did it! Sweet!

I went and downloaded my last statement which recently cut... That long number as we all know, the first 16 digits is your card number...

If I select the new card showing up, and pull a statement... 

It begins with a 5, which is a MC number. Smiley Happy

That was easy... If anyone wants to change, try a secure message to customer service, 

I'll keep ya'll posted that it actucally comes... 

Unexpected, but nice. I've regained a bit of respect for Chase. 

Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

I'll offer my congrats on the conversion

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@WolfMan wrote:

I sent a secure message asking about switching from Visa to MC, and got a response that it would have to be escilated, then never heard anything back... 

I gave the reason that my Son's school lunch program only uses MC, and would like to use my Freedom card for that. 

It's been a couple weeks, kind of forgot about it, even though I haven't heard anything, I log into my account today, and notice where it shows your card, I notice a second card with a different last four numbers underneath, showing the same info/transactions/etc. as the one above that has the last four digits of the one I have in my possession. 

Even the rewards site shows two cards now... I wonder if I'll be getting a Freedom MC in the mail soon...

They might not have actually switched your account, just added a MC card number to it.  Basically, two ways to access the same account, it might actually only even report one number too.  It might just take a few weeks to and the VISA number will disappear.  I would imagine that you will receive a message in the mail soon.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 11
Radek7752
Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

@WolfMan wrote:

They might not have actually switched your account, just added a MC card number to it.  Basically, two ways to access the same account, it might actually only even report one number too.  It might just take a few weeks to and the VISA number will disappear.  I would imagine that you will receive a message in the mail soon.

The same thing happened when I changed my CSP from Visa to Mastercard. Both show up when I log in and I use both the Visa Signature and World Mastercard without issues. They pull from the same pool of credit and share the same points. Only the Mastercard account number is on my credit report however.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 6 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@WolfMan wrote:

The same thing happened when I changed my CSP from Visa to Mastercard. Both show up when I log in and I use both the Visa Signature and World Mastercard without issues. They pull from the same pool of credit and share the same points. Only the Mastercard account number is on my credit report however.

Are you saying that you can now use both cards? Visa Siggy and World MC? And this is not just temporary during the transition period? Kind of cool if this would be permanent until the card expires  Smiley Happy  A two in one card !

Message 7 of 11
Radek7752
Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@WolfMan wrote:

Are you saying that you can now use both cards? Visa Siggy and World MC? And this is not just temporary during the transition period? Kind of cool if this would be permanent until the card expires  Smiley Happy  A two in one card !

As of now, yes I can use both and transactions post to both accounts. I'm expecting Chase to remove the Visa at some point, but for the past month I have been able to use the Visa Signature and the World Mastercard. I primarily just use the MC and leave the Visa for giggles. I also doesn't really utilize any Visa Signature/WMC benefits, so I'm not sure if both are available for use or just the Mastercard's.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 8 of 11
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

Most likely if both cards stay active, the Visa will still get cut or thrown in a drawer. 

I don't even know the difference in benefites between the V and the MC, I just know I can pay for lunch online for my son, and go to Sams Club now. Smiley Happy

I would think, though, if both cards are active, you would get the benefits of the network that processed the transaction, depending on which card you used. 

@Radek7752 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@WolfMan wrote:

As of now, yes I can use both and transactions post to both accounts. I'm expecting Chase to remove the Visa at some point, but for the past month I have been able to use the Visa Signature and the World Mastercard. I primarily just use the MC and leave the Visa for giggles. I also doesn't really utilize any Visa Signature/WMC benefits, so I'm not sure if both are available for use or just the Mastercard's.

Message 9 of 11
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

Got the Freedom Mastercard (With PayPass) In the mail today. 

Not sure how I feel about PayPass, Mybe I'll store it in foil. LOL. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.