Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking Citi to move CL around

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asking Citi to move CL around

If I ask Citi to move some CL from TY Pref to DC:

1) Is it pretty much instant? Or does it take time? 

2) Is there a restriction on moving it and moving it again? (I think I've talked myself out of Prestige or Hilton for now, but...) 

3) Shoudln't result in any pulls, right? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Asking Citi to move CL around

@Anonymous wrote:

If I ask Citi to move some CL from TY Pref to DC:

1) Is it pretty much instant? Or does it take time?  It takes a bit to reflect online (if approved)

2) Is there a restriction on moving it and moving it again? (I think I've talked myself out of Prestige or Hilton for now, but...)  You will not be able to move the entire CL from the donor card (can't recall the restriction off the top)

3) Shoudln't result in any pulls, right?   It will be a HP, no exceptions (some folks have allocated with SP, but in very rare instances).  Your best resource to look into this (if you're still contemplating any CL reallocations) is the Citi EO.

Message 2 of 7
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Fin is 100% correct.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Yesterday I had a large, unanticipated expense that I ended up maxing my DC and putting the balance on my A+. It's funny how, as you move through life, those types of things used to be $300, then were $1000, yesterday was about $4600. It would have been nice to put down one card, which I could have, but I wasn't willing to do it at the expense of losing too much in the way of rewards. I thought I'd have a follow up expense tomorrow of another $1k or so, but I won't. It led me to think I should move the citi CL sooner, rather than later. But at this point, I'll just be the person who gives two or more cards if necc. 

Message 4 of 7
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

I guess I should add one more point (not that it sounds like it applies to you): if you apply for a new card, my experience is that they can allocate limits for an approval. Not sure if that's an extra HP or not - I got my Premier w/o having to move CL's around.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

I guess I should add one more point (not that it sounds like it applies to you): if you apply for a new card, my experience is that they can allocate limits for an approval. Not sure if that's an extra HP or not - I got my Premier w/o having to move CL's around.

You may have read between the lines that it may/sorta/eventually be me. I was asking if there's a restriction on timing of moving limits because I think for NOW I've decided against Prestige and Hilton, but that could change. If I changed my limits from TY Pref $15k and DC $3.5k to something like DC $12k and TY Pref $6.5k or something, that'd be good for now. But if I added a new card into the mix, would I be unable to move things that I moved 1 month/3 months/6 months prior? If I knew there was no time restriction then I'd move more to DC since I don't see the TY Pref getting much use for the forseeable future. But if there was a time restriction, I'd move less and leave more donor-limit on the TY. 

All of this assumes I could do it on a SP. 

And I know all of this is (informed) speculation, I just like having an idea of what my potential options are before contacting the lender. 

Thanks. 

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

You may have read between the lines that it may/sorta/eventually be me. I was asking if there's a restriction on timing of moving limits because I think for NOW I've decided against Prestige and Hilton, but that could change. If I changed my limits from TY Pref $15k and DC $3.5k to something like DC $12k and TY Pref $6.5k or something, that'd be good for now. But if I added a new card into the mix, would I be unable to move things that I moved 1 month/3 months/6 months prior? If I knew there was no time restriction then I'd move more to DC since I don't see the TY Pref getting much use for the forseeable future. But if there was a time restriction, I'd move less and leave more donor-limit on the TY. 

All of this assumes I could do it on a SP. 

And I know all of this is (informed) speculation, I just like having an idea of what my potential options are before contacting the lender. 

Thanks. 

Just keep in mind the SP option is not gonna fly.  The only way you could possibly see if it works in your favor (as longtime_lurker mentioned previously) is if you opened a new Citi CC (having taken the HP for the approval) where you could shift some CL from another card to make the new CL higher (again, these are all unknown variables since no one knows for sure how much you'd be approved for). 

Conceivably, you could move CLs as suggested in your example.  I don't think Citi would object on the proposed reallocations.  Perhaps, give it some thought to decide if a new card makes more sense to be added in your lineup to determine the best outcome for your overall needs.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.