Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for CLI to travel?

tag
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

Asking for CLI to travel?

We are planning on taking a trip to the West Coast in October and we currently have 2 cards with 0% interest right now so I would like to put the trip on one of our cards and then pay it off in the following few months.

Amex BCP was opened 1/29/2014, started at 2.6k increased to 5k on day 61.

Chase was opened same day, started at 1k, auto increased to 2k. haven't requested increase yet.

Is it typical to ask for a credit limit increase to finance an upcoming expense, and is this something that they like to do or don't like to see? I can see how they could be more willing to accept it so that it allows for greater usage of their cards, but then at the same time it could be viewed as a sign of purchasing something that maybe you can't afford. Is there a general consensus on this? do you think I'd have luck calling in for a CLI? I'd prefer AMEX because it already has a higher limit and I'd prefer to charge everything to just one card without maxing out the card. We shouldn't be spending more than $2k most likely.

The other option would be to apply for a new credit card and possibly recon the limit if needed, with the same explanation. All of our good cards are in my husband's name and I'm an AU on, so this is something that I'd be interested in either way. 

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14
Current TU FICO 701 | Goal 1: 700✓ met on 2/18/14 | Goal 2: 720

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

Re: Asking for CLI to travel?

I did it back in March for my overseas trip. Bumped from 1300 to 3k. So you should try ...good luck.
Message 2 of 6
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

AMEX won't increase the limit for 180 days, which is the end of September if I remember your post correctly. Chase will attempt a CLI at any time that you ask, but it will cost a HP.

Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

AMEX won't increase the limit for 180 days, which is the end of September if I remember your post correctly. Chase will attempt a CLI at any time that you ask, but it will cost a HP.

+1, Amex is on the schedule and they don't care otherwise.

chase is hp but id shoot for the moon and ask for like $10k if your going to do it, they will counter.

Message 4 of 6
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

thanks for the replies! maybe I'll try with Chase, I just paid off our card and it should report in about 2 days! might be worth it! 

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14

Message 5 of 6
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

+1, Amex is on the schedule and they don't care otherwise.

chase is hp but id shoot for the moon and ask for like $10k if your going to do it, they will counter.

we're not going until the end of October, so maybe I'll try AMEX then too! The other thing I'm considering is applying for the Barclay Arrival, DH got a pre-approval online, I just paid off a lot of credit card debt so when those report I'll have to check each of our scores again. 

Gardening as of 02/04/14

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.