cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for CLI upon approval

tag
JoshSF

Asking for CLI upon approval

Hi all... I've seen some stuff on the board about calling after getting a new card approved and asking for a higher limit. Before I try this, I just wanted to ask what I should know about it. Should I call one of the backdoor #s here or is the # on the card fine? I recall an instruction to ask for a credit analyst. What kinds of reasons do you give the analyst as part of the request? 

Besides CLI, are there any other requests you tend to make after you've been approved? 

I was just approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Freedom cards. Should I ask for both at once, one and then the other, or just one? Or does it matter? 

7/17: EX 750, TU 741, EQ 716
AAoA = 12.7yrs (Exp), 13.6 years (TU/Eq)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Asking for CLI upon approval

I've only done this with Synchrony Bank. Are you willing to take another HP this soon from Chase? I don't recall reading where someone did this with them. They are pretty tough when it comes to CLI..especially so soon after apping for the cards. Have you received them in the mail yet?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshSF wrote:

Hi all... I've seen some stuff on the board about calling after getting a new card approved and asking for a higher limit. Before I try this, I just wanted to ask what I should know about it. Should I call one of the backdoor #s here or is the # on the card fine? I recall an instruction to ask for a credit analyst. What kinds of reasons do you give the analyst as part of the request? 

Besides CLI, are there any other requests you tend to make after you've been approved? 

I was just approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Freedom cards. Should I ask for both at once, one and then the other, or just one? Or does it matter? 

Calling the number on the card is fine..  As for what to tell them-most of the time it's not necessary to say much more than you plan on using the card(s) a lot and need a bigger limit so that you don't use up all of your existing limit.  You do realize that with Chase, they will do another HP (sometimes two).  The chances of getting a CLI with them after approval isn't that great to begin with so the chances of getting one for both cards is basically zero.  If iI were you, I'd use the cards for 3-6 months and then if you need a larger limit, ask then.  Otherwise you stand a good chance of wasting an HP or two.

Message 3 of 9
JoshSF

Oh crap I was under the impression that if you did it right after applying they didn't do a new HP. Nevermind! 

7/17: EX 750, TU 741, EQ 716
AAoA = 12.7yrs (Exp), 13.6 years (TU/Eq)

Message 4 of 9
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know how AmEx feels about CLI's after receiving the card?
Thanks!
What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 5 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@cmm89 wrote:
Does anyone know how AmEx feels about CLI's after receiving the card?
Thanks!

Sometimes you can bump it up right after activating it online. It doesn't hurt to try. I've read lately folks have been getting CLIs on the 61st day. When I received my first Amex 2 years ago. I requested 3x immediately after activation and was successful.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, more often than not those that have requested a CLI on their Chase card after approval (at the expense of a HP) have reported either no increase or a minimal increase... basically meaning that after doing it they wish they hadn't.  There are exceptions to this, but I'd say the majority fall into this category I described.  I agree with the person above that said wait 3-6 months and then make your decision.  Some report auto-CLIs on new Chase accounts around 3-6 months if you are using your limit pretty solidly, so there's a chance you could get a CLI without giving up a HP if you just sit tight and use your cards.

Message 7 of 9
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Gmood. Worth a shot. My BCE opened in May started at $500 w/ credit steps, but the AmEx Delta Gold was approved instantly for $1K with the welcome bonus + AF waived. Still probably a borderline approval... it'll be a daily driver, so I'll SP CLI when activated.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshSF wrote:

dont ask.  wait 90 days and apply for the chase sapphire preferred etc.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.