Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for CLI

tag
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Asking for CLI

I just got approved for a discover student card with a limit of 500 does anyone think I should ask for a CLI I have not even receive the card yet. I need the increase in order to  purchase books for school.

Starting Score: EQ: 583 TU: 623
Current Score: EQ: 624 TU: 701
Goal Score: Both Scores 680 Plus!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
khw
Regular Contributor

Re: Asking for CLI

I would love to know what everyone thinks about this too, I also just got approved for one and was thinking about asking for a cli so I can do a balance transfer

Starting Score: 480-550 in 2005
Current Score: 761 TU/764 EQ - 08/1/2013 /754 EX 12/15/12
Goal Score: 800

Message 2 of 9
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

If it's a reward card, use it then pay it off after the transaction is posted.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 3 of 9
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Bump

Does anyone approve of this or think it is a great idea to ask  for a increase before you get the card?

Message 4 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@savmeformyse wrote:

Bump

Does anyone approve of this or think it is a great idea to ask  for a increase before you get the card?

Do you have cash to buy your textbooks?

Message 5 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Discover customer service is good...just call them and ask about the possibilities of an immediate CLI. They won't pull your card just because you ask about buying textbooks.

And congratulations on your new card!

Message 6 of 9
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Thanks I thought maybe I would seem to needy and they would reject me.

Message 7 of 9
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

It's perfectly reasonable to call Discover and ask if they could re-review your application to see if you qualify for a higher credit limit. My boyfriend was approved for a VISA at $2,500 and upon our request, they called the underwriter to see if it could be increased and we got an additional $500 for a total CL of $3,000.

Might be better to use Discover's backdoor number...

Discover: 888-676-3695 (Recon)

Discover: 800-347-2911 (Retention Dept.)

If you have the cash, however, you may want to send in a payment which would result in a credit balance on the account. Then you can charge whatever amount is applicable in books. But sounds like as a student you may not have the money up front to do this. Just note if you are concerned about your FICO score and future CLs, it's not good to max out the card. In fact, you should try to keep it below 35% (the lower the better). But you gotta do what you gotta do. When you bring your utilization down, your FICO score will go back up.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 9
savmeformyse
Valued Member

I am spending all my cash on tuition so I want have to much student loans. For me it is easy to pay off a credit card because its there in my face everyday but loans I know I have until I graduate to pay those back.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.