Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for Credit Card Pictures

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asking for Credit Card Pictures

hello 2 days ago I bought some shoes from the online website of a store established in france. today I received an email saying my payment was flagged as fraudulent and gave a listed no "3d secure" certification and shipping address not same as billing address as some of the possible reasons as of why this happened. the latter is true as I sent the shoes to the apartment I stay in where I study. They are asking me to send a picture of the front of the card but they are saying I should blur out everything but my name, expiration date and the last 4 numers on the card. Has this happened to anyone of you? Is this a normal practice? Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Asking for Credit Card Pictures

I'm not sure I can really say what is or isn't normal.  I only deal with one merchant in France on a regular basis and have never needed to supply a photo of my card even with different billing and shipping addresses.  No idea what 3D Secure is but quick Googling seems to indicate that it might have something to do with MasterCard SecureCode and Verified by Visa.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

I'm not sure I can really say what is or isn't normal.  I only deal with one merchant in France on a regular basis and have never needed to supply a photo of my card even with different billing and shipping addresses.  No idea what 3D Secure is but quick Googling seems to indicate that it might have something to do with MasterCard SecureCode and Verified by Visa.

I paid with AmEx so I don't think the 3D applies in this case then. the thing is this is the first time I buy there but the site doesn't strike me as shady or anything.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

I paid with AmEx so I don't think the 3D applies in this case then. the thing is this is the first time I buy there but the site doesn't strike me as shady or anything.

Seems like fraud to me....

I don't know..

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

In theory, they already have that information, and could get it off of any receipt that they found in the street. I would scan it, open it in paint, paste a black box over the sensitive information, save it, print it, then scan it again. I absolutely want to make sure that there is no further information other than exactly what they requested. 

Message 5 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

A lender should not be asking nor should anyone for a picture of your card. Any lender if thats whom emailed you should already have the card on file. Most lenders to prove that its your account will something like 

Dear, Mr/Mrs Smith this is in regards to your Amex (insert card here) account ending in 1234

Thats how you can usually tell if an email is real or fake. I would suggest calling Amex to find out.

Edit - Misread the post, i wouldnt send an a picture of any of my cards. Usually if its a verification thing they should be able to do it over the phone or just simple text. Like if they are asking for the last 4 that shouldnt be an issue to just email, no pic required. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Amex uses 3D-Secure in France (Amex SafeKey, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure) so they would usually expect it, but your US card doesn't support it.

The whole idea is to protect card not present transactions, so I guess they feel that a picture of your card goes some way to providing an assurance.   Obviously very easy to fake, but if the amount isn't  that big, they may decide that a fraudster wouldn't go to the trouble of photoshopping etc.

Message 7 of 11
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

hello 2 days ago I bought some shoes from the online website of a store established in france. today I received an email saying my payment was flagged as fraudulent and gave a listed no "3d secure" certification and shipping address not same as billing address as some of the possible reasons as of why this happened. the latter is true as I sent the shoes to the apartment I stay in where I study. They are asking me to send a picture of the front of the card but they are saying I should blur out everything but my name, expiration date and the last 4 numers on the card. Has this happened to anyone of you? Is this a normal practice? Thanks.

Depending on the country, this happens time-to-time.

Some non-US countries do not allow any online transaction using cards not issued in that country. For my home country, I need to use cards issued there, a verified-by-visa or 3d-secure password, and an OTP sent to my home country mobile phone, for transaction as small for $5. 

Transactions made by US cards are generally declined; you at least got to the next stage.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Some non-US countries do not allow any online transaction using cards not issued in that country. For my home country, I need to use cards issued there, a verified-by-visa or 3d-secure password, and an OTP sent to my home country mobile phone, for transaction as small for $5. 

Transactions made by US cards are generally declined; you at least got to the next stage.

Thanks to everyone that responded and sorry for the late response. I sent the picture, so we'll see. I'll post if something goes wrong.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks to everyone that responded and sorry for the late response. I sent the picture, so we'll see. I'll post if something goes wrong.

Keep us posted...I wouldn't have sent the pic.. But let us know how it goes..

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.