Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for lower APRs

tag
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

Re: Asking for lower APRs

This may have already been stated, sorry if I'm repeating.

I just requested lower apr's on both mine and my husband's Discover cards.  Both were lowered by 2.75%.

Here's the interesting thing, though:  the guy I chatted with on mine didn't say this, but at the end of the chat on my husband's account, the guy said, "Please keep your payments on time, like you do, and check back in 3 months to see if we can lower it again."

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 31 of 36
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

@PandiferBear wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

Good evening everyone! How long do you (personally, not rhetorically) wait on a new account before asking for an APR reduction? I was thinking about asking Amex for one on both mine and DH's accounts after one year from opening. I know Chase (DH) is a hard nut to crack, so I will probably leave them alone. Not really sure about Barclay or Discover. Just curious to see what other people do, to see if maybe waiting a certain amount of time gets better results. Both of our credit profiles are much better than they were a year ago. My scores are in my sig (blast you, Equifax!) and DH is at about 750 across the board. Would love to hear the experience and advice of others. I have never asked for an APR reduction, so that also fuels my curiosity.

Discover and AMEX you can do via chat. They are super chill about it, think you can request every 6 months. Curious what people say regarding Barclays, think I read after 6 months you talk to U/W, which I'll definitely be doing to trying to get my 24.99% down...and I'll make it clear that their card will be on the chopping block come AF time and I will keep my AMEX lol. Hopefully others will chime in.

FWIW, Chase told me to kick rocks. 

It's all based on your account's elegibility at the time they review your request.  AMEX can be reviewed typically after 12 months (sometimes less, depends).  Barclays likes to see history as well, sometimes folks can check through the 24-hour analyst/UW # and get positive results after 6 months (but normally would also occur after 12).  Discover after 12 months on average.

@longtime_lurker - threatening Barclays with closure will not make them budge.  If your account qualifies, great.  If not, consider your options.

Chase will not lower APRs for customer-initiated requests.  They review accounts periodically (no set time) to determine whether they qualify for such reductions.  Some individuals have received automatic reductions, while others have not - YEMV.  You could probably witness a quadruple-rainbow before you can see Chase lowering your APR, especially if the account did not receive the best terms from the get-go.

LOL. Well at least I know when to ask now. Smiley Very Happy

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/04/21/double-quadruple-rainbows-spotted-on-li-following-stormy-weat...

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

Message 32 of 36
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@LuckyBird wrote:

This may have already been stated, sorry if I'm repeating.

I just requested lower apr's on both mine and my husband's Discover cards.  Both were lowered by 2.75%.

Here's the interesting thing, though:  the guy I chatted with on mine didn't say this, but at the end of the chat on my husband's account, the guy said, "Please keep your payments on time, like you do, and check back in 3 months to see if we can lower it again."

Congrats!!  Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 36
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's interesting they told you to try again in 3 months. As far as I know and have been told, it's 6 months in between APR reductions from Discover, but obviously YMMV (of course, your CSR could be misinformed or the one who told me 6 months is misinformed!)

Message 34 of 36
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@LuckyBird wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

Good evening everyone! How long do you (personally, not rhetorically) wait on a new account before asking for an APR reduction? I was thinking about asking Amex for one on both mine and DH's accounts after one year from opening. I know Chase (DH) is a hard nut to crack, so I will probably leave them alone. Not really sure about Barclay or Discover. Just curious to see what other people do, to see if maybe waiting a certain amount of time gets better results. Both of our credit profiles are much better than they were a year ago. My scores are in my sig (blast you, Equifax!) and DH is at about 750 across the board. Would love to hear the experience and advice of others. I have never asked for an APR reduction, so that also fuels my curiosity.

Discover and AMEX you can do via chat. They are super chill about it, think you can request every 6 months. Curious what people say regarding Barclays, think I read after 6 months you talk to U/W, which I'll definitely be doing to trying to get my 24.99% down...and I'll make it clear that their card will be on the chopping block come AF time and I will keep my AMEX lol. Hopefully others will chime in.

It's all based on your account's elegibility at the time they review your request.  AMEX can be reviewed typically after 12 months (sometimes less, depends).  Barclays likes to see history as well, sometimes folks can check through the 24-hour analyst/UW # and get positive results after 6 months (but normally would also occur after 12).  Discover after 12 months on average.

@longtime_lurker - threatening Barclays with closure will not make them budge.  If your account qualifies, great.  If not, consider your options.

Chase will not lower APRs for customer-initiated requests.  They review accounts periodically (no set time) to determine whether they qualify for such reductions.  Some individuals have received automatic reductions, while others have not - YEMV.  You could probably witness a quadruple-rainbow before you can see Chase lowering your APR, especially if the account did not receive the best terms from the get-go.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/04/21/double-quadruple-rainbows-spotted-on-li-following-stormy-weat...

I'm betting someone, somewhere got a Chase APR reduction on that day!!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 36
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@LuckyBird wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

I'm betting someone, somewhere got a Chase APR reduction on that day!!  Smiley Very Happy

That's today!! We all need to get in touch with Chase immediately, lol!

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.