Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At 787 But Still STUCK!

tag
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

At 787 But Still STUCK!

I had FEVER last night. My $2700 payment posted taking my util down to 7%. I had an EQ Fico score of 761. The posted payment shot my score up to 787.

Checked FCS for EX that score went from 723 to 726 as a result of the new 0 balance. After taking an Advil I apped and got approved for an AMEX HH Surpass. Only 2k CL though. Was VERY dissapointed. Was counting on something around 5-10k. I apped for the the Surpass by phone because the website for this card wasn't working last night.

After approval I went to the website again and apped for the Platinum Delta. That app is now pending and I feel that I need to communicate to AMEX that I wanted the Surpass b/c I do use Hilton Hotels most of the time, but that I'd like an Airline card as well. I fear that it was too soon to app for the both. But does my arguement seem plausible?

I have a similar issue with Chase. Back in July I got denied for a CSP with my EQ Fico score at only 695. I could understand that at the time, but I'm SERIOUSLY shy about re-apping for CSP or any other Chase product.

REALLY worried about something NOT on my CR reports that is causing me to get a low limit like 2k.

Or wonder if I should seek banks that I have no prior relationship with at all, and hope that the good scores are seen much more favorably?

Any opinions?

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: At 787 But Still STUCK!

I see you have a 10k business card, whats the highest limit on a non business card? Perhaps they want to see how you do at lower levels first, have yyou tried a Credit Union?

Message 2 of 20
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

Highest comsumer is $4700 from Citi. I've had to rebuild from my busines accts. I'm attempting to back into consumer cards with them through this process. Not sure what might be lurking out there that I don't see on my reports. My prior COs were indeed all PIF many years ago.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 3 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

I'm a little surprised your score improved by 90 points within a mere 3 months. Are you relatively new to credit building/rebuilding?

Message 4 of 20
guydiver
Established Contributor

@CreditEd wrote:

I had FEVER last night. My $2700 payment posted taking my util down to 7%. I had an EQ Fico score of 761. The posted payment shot my score up to 787.

Checked FCS for EX that score went from 723 to 726 as a result of the new 0 balance. After taking an Advil I apped and got approved for an AMEX HH Surpass. Only 2k CL though. Was VERY dissapointed. Was counting on something around 5-10k. I apped for the the Surpass by phone because the website for this card wasn't working last night.

After approval I went to the website again and apped for the Platinum Delta. That app is now pending and I feel that I need to communicate to AMEX that I wanted the Surpass b/c I do use Hilton Hotels most of the time, but that I'd like an Airline card as well. I fear that it was too soon to app for the both. But does my arguement seem plausible?

I have a similar issue with Chase. Back in July I got denied for a CSP with my EQ Fico score at only 695. I could understand that at the time, but I'm SERIOUSLY shy about re-apping for CSP or any other Chase product.

REALLY worried about something NOT on my CR reports that is causing me to get a low limit like 2k.

Or wonder if I should seek banks that I have no prior relationship with at all, and hope that the good scores are seen much more favorably?

Any opinions?

All things considered, that's not a bad place to be stuck.Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

It'd get stuck on a 787 any day. Well, not for too long I guess, or I might get airsick Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 20
RonDawg
Contributor

@CreditEd wrote:

Any opinions?

Call up AMEX again about your APP my bet is they will approve it but because you just applied for an account its holding this app for a live person to look at.

Also ask them to recon your 2k credit limit on your current account, maybe you will get more.

My first application for the BCE card got the 7 day message but 3 days later I got the approval notice in my email.  I had a fraud warning on my credit report so of course a Human has to look at it.

Anyways Good Luck!

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 7 of 20
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

I fail to see the negatives of being "stuck" at 787, given an 800+ won't really give you better terms since you already technically are qualified for the best of the best.  Don't be gun shy about the CSP tho, pull the trig and recon if necessary.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 8 of 20
DailyDriver
Valued Member

I was approved for the NAF Amex Hilton with a 2k limit also.  You can see the rest of my limits in my profile.  EX was 742.  Maybe the give the CL with 61 day CLI in mind.

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 9 of 20
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I always thought that anything over 700 gets you pretty much the sane terms as an 800+...Maybe a little better at 800+ but not much

Maybe it's for a personal accomplishment

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.