cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At What Credit Score Did You Start Getting Prime Pre-Approved Offers???

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: At What Credit Score Did You Start Getting Prime Pre-Approved Offers???

@BallBounces wrote:

Your numbers sound about right, but people often don't want to hear the truth: "it is more than just scores"  All 675s are not the same, truly.

It looks like you have a Cap One card now, it is possible you could get approved for another with decent credit line with a 660. 

+1 started getting prime around 660 across board.

Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: At What Credit Score Did You Start Getting Prime Pre-Approved Offers???

@davidsawsparks wrote:

In my experience, I never received any offer by mail but it wasn't until my score was in the 700s that I got approved for cards like Discover and Citi (with recon). I wouldn't even necessarily consider my first few cards "Prime" as the Citi card I had, was a no rewards card and had somewhat higher interest 21-22% ish.

This is what I've learned, and I wished someone would have told me this many years ago.

Do some research and find the 3-4 "Dream" cards you'd ultimately want in your wallet... and DO NOT apply for them. If you do now, without any real credit history or just coming off of a few bad years, if you happen to get approved, the limits and apr will not likely be your dream limit or apr. However that's not to say that you can't or shouldn't apply for other cards issued by the same bank. For instance. If your dream card is CSP. Apply for freedom or some other Chase partner cards like Marriot or United and build up a good reputation with them. Give it a year and then apply for CSP, you'll be happier with the CSP's starting limit and APR at that point. You'll probably want to get CLI over time, but you won't have to or want to as often if you started with 15k rather than the minimum 5k.

Once your have that first large limit card, the rest will start falling into line. My average credit limit was 3-4k. Then after a few years, I applied for CSP. Boom 11k, then I applied for PNC, boom 10k. Then Citi prestige 15.5k, then Ritz Carlton 27k, BofA 15k. The CCC will try to outdo the other in hopes to gain your business.

Best of luck to you!

sounds like great advice....if I dont start seeing amex 3x CLI... next year i will probably go for a venture to get the others lining up..kinda hoping that cap 1 does come out with a game changer, then use the 3 inquiries for a venture and something else besides a quicksilver!

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.