cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At What Point Do You Say "I'm Satisfied"?

tag
Involus
Regular Contributor

Re: At What Point Do You Say "I'm Satisfied"?

I would say Shogun's response would be the most realistic - as I don't think being satisfied is attainable Fico wise..

I mean I'm on 20 granted but I'm pretty happy where I sit - I would say content for now. But the last time I was content was for about a year and a half (didn't login to myFico at all during this time) and just gardened - no apps, no anything just gardened. Though during this time my util% was pretty high - I then decided after I payed util down to around 7% and I had thought my reports had updated that I would pull the trigger on Amex and Discover and to my disappointment my reports had not updated.. So I waited my 30 days and reapped for Amex and Discover (later found out Discover was 45 days so they are on the back burner for 6 mos to a year or so) was instant approved for Amex Green and BCE.

Again I am now content - this past month I have gained 3 new TLs - 2 of which are Amex and I am very happy to be in the Amex family and have the BCE. I plan to garden for minimum of 6 mos and up to 2015 when I will be 100% inq free. My goal is inq free and 800+ Ficos acrossed the board. My issue with satisfaction is I'm only 20 and will have my credit needs. I don't see myself being inq free by 2015 because I intend on buying a newer vehicle then my 1994 (almost as old as me) Jeep Grand Cherokee before then and purchasing a home of my own sometime before 2017. I would also like to grow my current TLs and close my Cap One (no AF - open for AoAA reasons), in a year I'll more than likely close my Green charge before AF and maybe get PRG for a year and so on or not get another charge at all - don't know I'm not there yet. I just forsee changes to my portfolio.

I think satisfaction comes when you can obtain any credit product you would like, weather it be financing a $100,000+ car - or buying a $1,000,000 home or knowing you meet the requirements for a Palladium/Centurion (income provided for these examples). Basically all around credit worthiness - knowing you can pull that app trigger and have no doubt you'll be approved. (Other than too many accounts or too high TLs)

Message 11 of 19
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Satisfaction is such a short term word its like saying im content.

Its only natural to always want more Smiley Wink

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 12 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

unless you have ALL THE CARDS Smiley Very Happy

Credit cards are like Pokemon! gotta drap them all Smiley Very Happy jk (don't do it! lol)

When you have the best of each card, I don't think there's a point unless your planning on credit card churning (for sign up bonuses etc)

PenFED gas 5%

US Bank Cash+ restaurants and billpay

Citi Forward 5% restaurants Amazon movies etc

Citi Premier turns TY points into 1.33% each for travel

CSP 1.34% everything card (travel and annual bonus)

Freedom To feed the CSP at 5% to make 6.25% + checking = more

BCP for Gas + Groceries + department stores for 3-6%

Amex Platinum is a must if your a regular flyer

Amex Starwood is a good hotel card if you use a lot of hotels

Amex Hilton for bonus categories etc

If I had to pick 2, it would probably be

US bank Cash+ Restaurants and Billpay at 6.25%

@Anonymous Hilton for groceries, gas, dining, hotel, drug stores, wireless, tv services @ 3% (6 points per dollar but Hilton points are worth 0.5 cent)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 13 of 19
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

Credit cards are like Pokemon! gotta drap them all Smiley Very Happy jk (don't do it! lol)

When you have the best of each card, I don't think there's a point unless your planning on credit card churning (for sign up bonuses etc)

PenFED gas 5%

@Anonymous Hilton for groceries, gas, dining, hotel, drug stores, wireless, tv services @ 3% (6 points per dollar but Hilton points are worth 0.5 cent)

And for completeness, probably add Priceline Visa, for 2% on anything not covered by the rest!

Message 14 of 19
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

PenFED gas 5%

Got to app them all... Smiley Surprised
 j/k

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 15 of 19
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
my guess is 30 seconds before you log off this forum for the last time. or when you switch to flyer talk full time.

FlyerTalk is not a good place to go when you're content.  I've applied for more cards because of what I've learned over there, not less.

Should clarify: I can go directly to the forums over there for the cards/programs I already have. I have learned to maximize the value of the cards I have without being tempted to apply for new ones. Here, otoh, there is only one credit card forum. So you log in to find out if getting declined for a te at Costco is a hard or soft pull for current card members, and you have to wade through 20 "I just got approved for x" posts. Pretty soon, you start wondering "would I, too, benefit from card x?" 

So my overall point was that op was asking his question in the wrong place, as I think very few "satisfied" card users on these forums.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 16 of 19
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I am finally at the point of being satisfied. What did it for me was getting the cards that I set out to get. Most of them are smaller limits but I am happy to be in with the companies (Chase, Citi, GE, Discover, FNBO). The Chase Freedom card was what did me in and I stopped after that. That's the one I wanted the most all along and had I did more research, I could have gotten it earlier in my quest to rebuild. The only thing I want for in the future is a Mastercard and of course higher credit limits on what I have but that's a year or so from now. The only thing bugging me now is wishing I had not opened a few of the accounts that I did along the way and I really want to close them but I have read that would be bad since I just opened them a few months ago.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 17 of 19
WunderCard
Established Member

The finish line is different for everyone.

I'm proud to say my 7 year journey finally came to a close this past October with the drop off my last baddie from 2005.  That was a bad year that included an 8mo stint of unemployment that led to 5 figures of CC debt.   It took YEARS to pay it all back, but I did.  All the subprime cards have since been closed out and replaced with only the prime cards that benefit me most.  I use credit sparingly now.  Being in huge debt in your 20's is the worst feeling in the world. I've learned my lesson.  When that last baddie finally aged off my score finally pushed through 800, and I intend to keep it that way!!

Message 18 of 19
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Thanks to all for the responses thus far!Smiley Tongue

I do understand and agree that "satisfied" is a very subjective and personal situation, hence the question.  I wanted to see how others gauge what they consider "satisfied" at this point (whatever that might be) in their credit careers. 

Still of particular interest to me are those of you out there who have gone into retirement or nearing retirement.  How satisfied are you as to where you are, and what, if anything would you do differently?   

As one who is nearing retirement, I know that my strategies will necessarily change somewhat, but the FUNDAMENTALS of credit management don't change. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.