cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what age should I add my son as an AU to build credit?

tag
lololol

Re: At what age should I add my son as an AU to build credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

I researched this myelf because I have a daughter due to be born within the month.

The ONLY drawback I can see is if something adverse happens to you in life and that paticular card. You could hurt your child's credit. 

AU accounts can be removed by request. This isnt really a drawback.

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lololol wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I researched this myelf because I have a daughter due to be born within the month.

The ONLY drawback I can see is if something adverse happens to you in life and that paticular card. You could hurt your child's credit. 

AU accounts can be removed by request. This isnt really a drawback.

If it posts to your account and they are an AU at that time, but yes, you're correct

Message 12 of 31
JSS3
Valued Contributor

AFAIK, an AU gets the whole history of a card. If you add an 18 yr old to a 15 yr old card, he'll instantly have 15 yrs of history. I believe that's how it works. In that case, no need to add them sooner.
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSS3 wrote:
AFAIK, an AU gets the whole history of a card. If you add an 18 yr old to a 15 yr old card, he'll instantly have 15 yrs of history. I believe that's how it works. In that case, no need to add them sooner.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

what if the card is older than the individual? How could your credit report 20 years of credit history on an 18 year old?

Message 14 of 31
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know that.

what if the card is older than the individual? How could your credit report 20 years of credit history on an 18 year old?

You would still get the history I guess. I was an AU on my mother's card and it hurt my credit when she died and the account went unpaid but as soon as I was removed as AU, it removed from my report and it was like it was never there.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just added my 4 year old to my USAA card and Navy Federal card. 

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP have you tried adding your son yet? Thanks in advance.
Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Answer: Yes x1000000

Just add them right now......no harm no foul. 

My mom added me to her discover when I was 14. It came along with an age of 20 years on my credit report. lol. 

Message 18 of 31
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Haven't tried yet. Going to try now. I've been MIA as I was putting the small human in bed and finishing my homework (yay last class before getting my degree!). Going to try to add him now. I'll update when I do. 

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 19 of 31
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

So I tried to add him to my Discover card and it says he has to be a minimum of 15 years old. However, I just added him to my Capital One Quicksilver card and they added him without a problem. We'll see how it goes. I am going to try to add him on any future cards after I rebuild more. My monthly utilization is very nice though and I charge a lot and pay before the statement cuts down to 9% and then PIF the next day. Like I said in my OP, I'm very bored waiting for my credit to increase and for things to age off, and a bit obsessed admittedly. The only other card I have is Credit One and I don't want to add him to that. 

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.